We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities/Spots for Toddlers

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Activities/Spots for Toddlers

We're visiting the Big Island in a couple weeks, staying in Kona with friends, and bringing our 21-month-old son with us. He is very active and we'd love to do more than just sit on the beach, but we know we won't/can't do anything too adventurous with him. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities/Spots for Toddlers

Aloha Boston!! We split our lives between Boston and Kona, great time of year for you to travel. Here are some things we did with out children when they were that age:

Kikaua Point Beach is located 10 miles north of Kailua-Kona, great sand, shallow and safe "lagoon" like swimming for little ones

Kamakahonu Beach. The "King Kam" beach in town, great for kids.

I know of 2 playgronds:

Harold H Higashihara Park is just south of Kona, near the 115 mile marker.

Another is located at the corner of Kuakini Hwy and Makala Blvd.

A wagon ride at the Parker Ranch.

Pu'uhonua O Honaunau My kids loved it there when they were small, they could not hold out as long as I wanted to but they loved it.

Submarine ride to see the fish.

He may like running around at a Tropical Botanical Garden

If you are up for the ride 'Imiloa Astronomy Center

Have a great vacation!

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities/Spots for Toddlers

Aloha! Mahalo for your response. Those are great suggestions, and I am going to write them on our itinerary to check them out. Thanks again.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
394 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities/Spots for Toddlers

we brought our then-19 month old grandson on the fairwinds snorkel boat cruise!!! we took turns having one person stay on the boat with him. he loved the boat ride, and we were served both breakfast and lunch on the boat, which he liked too!!! they offered a playpen on board if we wanted to use it, but he was content just watching the people in the water. there is a top sun-deck, and a covered lower level to get out of the sun. all of the grown-ups loved the snorkeling, the relaxing boat ride, seeing whales along the way, and decent food. it was one of the highlights of our trip!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities/Spots for Toddlers

Thank you! That's a perfect suggestion.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities/Spots for Toddlers

If you are planning a trip to the volcano there is the Pana'ewa Rainforest zoo over there. And it's free! (donations accepted) They have a really cool white tiger named Namaste.

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities/Spots for Toddlers

That's another wonderful idea. Thank you very much.

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities/Spots for Toddlers

Thank you for all the suggestions. We did take our son to several of these beaches and the Fair Winds snorkel trip was great! We had our son in the water together and then alternated watching him on the boat while we could each have some solo time. Our son, who was just under two at the time, loved the water and being on the boat--even the turtles before we got on the boat. When dolphins were following in our wake coming back it just was the cherry on the sundae! I thought the staff was very friendly and helpful, and I particularly liked the ease of getting in and out of the water, their help with the equipment (prescription eyewear rocked as I wear glasses) even the diving competition the staff had at the end. The yummy treats of fruit and juice and drink were very welcome too. Overall, one of the highlights of our trip, and we're all so happy we did it.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities/Spots for Toddlers

Thanks so much for checking back with us and letting us know how things went.. glad your son had a wonderful time!

Boston...
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Activities/Spots for Toddlers

Kona is by far my favorite place on the Big Island. Something I discovered while there that I would highly recommend as well was the outdoor restaurant/bar at Don the Beachcomber's. Food was very good and the atmosphere/view was perfection.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Activities/Spots for Toddlers

I love that place as well! Great Pu Pu's...