We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving Eats

Bonita, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thanksgiving Eats

Leaving for Kona, staying at the Sheraton in 40+ days. We haven't been to the BI before.. usually staying in Maui. This year we are expanding our horizons and giving Kona a whirl for a week, before going over to Maui to end our 2nd week.

We will be spending Thanksgiving at the Sheraton and am curious if you what you would recommend as far as eats ... will everything be open? There will be 6 of us. We are not looking for traditional (turkey) or expensive. Something moderately priced $20 per entree or so... and memorable atmosphere.

I have gotten so many good tips from this forum. Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
#1 of 14 hotels in Kailua-Kona
Kona Tiki Hotel
Kona Tiki Hotel
#2 of 14 hotels in Kailua-Kona
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort
#3 of 14 hotels in Kailua-Kona
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving Eats

Apart from the hotels, which give guests priority, more restaurants are closed on Thanksgiving than not. Contrary to what you might think, Thanksgiving and Christmas are two of the hardest nights/days to eat out.

And at this point, $20 an entree is not moderate. Moderate is more like the mid-20's.

The Sheraton will be open of course.

Thanksgiving is a good night to eat at a hotel, and do your moderate restaurant eating on regular, non-holiday nights.

You can also get a Thanksgiving group dinner to go from the Hilton ... and take it wherever you wish.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving Eats

You really will not have much choice. Most restaurants will be closed here, except the hotels. Entree prices are higher than $20 even at the local restaurants, they will be $30-$40 at the Sheraton.

Bonita, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanksgiving Eats

Thanks very much for the replies. Good to know - for planning purposes. 37 days and counting!!!

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanksgiving Eats

Only the hotels will be serving as TT mentioned. Thats your sole choice... Sheraton, Outrigger, Royal Kona,.....thats it for Kona

I know of only 3 places where you can eat for 20 or less a plate.... Big Island Grill, Tantes, Quinns.

they will all be closed thanks giving

Average price in Kona will be about $24 low to $45 high for an entre for dinner

$20 per entre in a memorable atmosphere......you are in for a suprise.

To give you an idea... I went to a chinese all you can eat buffet for 2 with an ice tea.... about $28 for 2 for lunch.... ( unless you want Mc Donalds thats the cheapest I have found )

Mentioned in this post
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
3,223 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Big Island Grill
Big Island Grill
1,296 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Bonita, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanksgiving Eats

Again, thanks for the information. I didn't mean to sound as if looking for bargain meals - although I'm not opposed to that!! We are kinda go with the flow people, and I didn't know if I needed to plan ahead or we would be good just deciding once we got there.

My sister will be staying in Ali'i Condos (?) so we now are planning to bbq on thanksiving - with everyone responsible for one dish. Hoping the Farmer's Market will have something to add to our experience!

It's good to know what to expect with approx prices for entrees though - we will be sure to enjoy!!!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,528 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanksgiving Eats

your plans sound great!

Nothing wrong with looking for low key less expensive food. I know I'm all for it. Thanksgiving though, being a holiday, and people here do like to take holidays OFF, they take their leisure seriously -- it is necessary to plan around closures.

By the way the Big Island Grill and others Dan mentioned may be options that you enjoy a lot.

The problem I see with restaurants here is that we naturally expect view and ambience here on this beautiful island, and yet the places with the ambience and view are all what I'd call overpriced - there's a markup for that ambience.

The good affordable food you'll find in hole in the wall places with no view. Locals who grow up with the ocean all around them their whole lives do not demand to see it when they eat. They want good food and a homey atmosphere, not tiki torches and umbrella drinks and vistas.

The gourmets around here will gasp when I say this, but Bubba Gumps has a GREAT VIEW if you can sit at the water's edge, and while it has a noisy ambience, it serves good value in food - fish, shrimp, burgers, etc. in good sized portions.

Every other place along that stretch costs a lot and for the same view.

Mentioned in this post
Big Island Grill
Big Island Grill
1,296 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
132 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanksgiving Eats

A few more details for BI residents and visitors...

Holuakoa Gardens in the artist town of Holualoa is serving Thanksgiving dinner; two different seatings for I think $65 pp. Sounds like a fantastic spread! It's a newer restaurant with great food, emphasis on use of local produce.

D. Thiebaut in Waimea posted a sign that they're offering Thanksgiving meals to go. Last day to order is the 25th. Another great restaurant serving really delicious food.

Jackie Rey's is actually closed on Thanksgiving for business - they're serving meals to the homeless.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,393 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanksgiving Eats

Holuakoa Gardens has gotten some good feedback, I have not been there but here are some links

www.konaweb.com/forums/visiting.cgi/…

…wcities.com/en/…record.html

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,393 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanksgiving Eats

Times are tough and places are opening up earlier: if you are in Kohala, the Mauna Lani web site now has "Thanksgiving at the Bay Terrace" on their dining page, see menu:

maunalani.com/pdf2008_11_Thanksgiving_112708…

$59+tax/tip for adults, under 12 half price

Beautiful place, go see the petroglyphs while you are there

Mentioned in this post
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,199 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thanksgiving Eats

I ate at the Holuakoa Gardens four times, you can read my reviews of it at the restaurant reviews at http://konaforum.com.

One recent change not posted yet: they just got their liquor license so it's no longer BYOB. Unfortunately, their wine selection is poor and the wine is not stored correctly.

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona