We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kekaha Kai

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
Kekaha Kai

Heading out on Saturday for a quick 9 day trip. Does anyone know if the Kekaha Kai State Park dirt road to the beach is passable for passenger cars? When I tried it about three years ago, there was a completely ugly section but I thought I read that road had been improved.

I've decided that due to the shortness of the trip, I would stay in the kohala and north kona areas. So, unfortunately, I'll skip 2-step and Kahul'u and for the most part Kailua. Instead, I'll explore new areas for me. I will hike the Muana Lani trails, snorkel pawai bay and maybe Puako. I will hike Kekaha Park. I'll swim at Hapuna Beach (yes for the first time) and maybe a dip at A-bay, afterwhich a hike down the coast south of A-bay. Then four days a Kona Village under their b&b plan.

I wonder how Halloween on the Island is?

I'll be back.

Bill

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,031 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Kekaha Kai

I do NOT know, but I want to know!

I've not heard it had been improved and I've not dared take my car down it. Only person I know who went was driving a pickup with big tires and he said it was pretty rough, but that was a few years ago -- after they put up the sign though.

Your plan sounds lots of fun.

I was in Kona today, in the afternoon, there was no sunshine, all gray, went to Kahalu'u to test the famous sunny on the coast theory, still no sun, ocean was gray and the water wasn't as smooth as what I like. Not a swell but not smooth.

Waikoloa was nice.

Kua Bay is improved, could that have been what you heard about?

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Kekaha Kai

Not Kua Bay road which is paved. The road to Mahaiula Beach. What I heard is that it was graded (but not paved)a year or so ago. Time will tell.

Bill

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,602 posts
312 reviews
3. Re: Kekaha Kai

It WAS sort of "improved" in the last year or two, but last I heard a couple of weeks ago was that it was not "sedan friendly" and that people were parking and walking the last part.

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
566 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Kekaha Kai

Mahaiula and makalawena were some of my favorite beaches on the Kona side. I remember the section you are talking about that was hard to pass through. It is no longer there and i have seen many, many cars parked at the very end. Unfortunately it has become very crowded in the past few years. Probably becouse of the easier access. If you go try to do it on a week-day (not wednesday - its closed) when the local crowds wont be as bad.

Big Island, Hawaii
Level Contributor
31,162 posts
5. Re: Kekaha Kai

It's not better than it was a while back. It's passable with a fairly decent car, but I wouldn't take a rental car down there.

Hapuna is not particularly good swimming, nor is A-Bay. Much better swimming (and snorkeling) at the Mauna Lani boathouse beach and along the Kona Village/Four Seasons coastline.

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Kekaha Kai

Sitting here at the at the airport in Sacramento. Free WiFi is great. Thank you Shea, I'll check out the road monday or tuesday. Having never played in the surf at either HB or AB I feel compelled to experience them at least once. My snorkel time will be a pawai, paukoa, kona village and Muana Lani.

Bill

Volcano, Hawaii
Level Contributor
566 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Kekaha Kai

If its not better than it was a while back then it must have gotten bad again. I specifically remember there being a really bad section (about 3 years ago)only to come back later and not being able to find it.

I havent been there in at least a couple of months. I guess things can change pretty quickly.

Either way, I have seen small rental cars at the end who probably took a risk and broke there contract agreements. 3 years ago these same cars would not have been able to pass through. There was even a spot where they had to park and walk the rest of the way, as I had to.

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Kekaha Kai

Just returned last night from my trip. The road to the beach is passable. We drove it without problem but it is rough and slow going. It's like a Sierra logging road, rocks, potholes and bumps everywhere. The end result is wonderful as long as you don't destroy your oil pan. Lots of rental car where there but caution is the word.

Bill

oregon
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Kekaha Kai

Bill, I'm curious as to what you were driving. It sounds about the same as when we went a couple years ago. We had a chevy blazer and had to problems. I know the cars were taking it really slow. We are going next month and really wanted to go to this beach again.

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Kekaha Kai

Sorry BI I didn't see your post until today. I was driving a mid-size chevy or pontiac G-6? I took it real slow, but it was doable as long as you navigated carefully.

Bill

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations