We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is this restaraunt?

Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where is this restaraunt?

Can anyone help me find this restaurant? We stayed at the Royal Sea Cliff. I believe that we were driving to Two Steps to snorkel or the Place of Refuge. It was a very small coffee/breakfast/lunch shop. It looked kind of like a small shack, not fancy. It was in the mountains, around a very tropical area and it overlooked a valley. It offered a great home-style breakfast. There was a cat rooming around and there were tiny geckos on the railings.

We are returning in about a week and want to return to this restaurant. This place is one of those gems that you don't expect to find. Can anyone help us with the name or location of this place?

California
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Where is this restaraunt?

If we remember right it was an ocean view not a valley or are we thinking of another similar sounding place.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where is this restaraunt?

weggs, you're right ... it's an ocean view.

There is no in the mountains overlooking a valley in that area, but you might call the downslope to the ocean a valley just as you might call the upcountry slope of Mauna Loa the mountains.

The little shack place in that area that meets the rest of the description has to be the Coffee Shack.

Most of the restaurants in that area serve more local food, not "haole" food aka what a person from the mainland thinks of as homestyle breakfast. The Aloha Angel Cafe is another, but as you probably know that building is a period theater, not a shack.

Local homestyle breakfast is eggs, rice, spam /sausage /hamburger/ gravy, and few local places are set up to have a view, or if they do it's an accident.

I like the Coffee Shack a lot and first went there about twelve years ago, still is on my list when I'm near it. However, the view can be wiped out by the vog of late. It's a shame, but when last there I couldn't see the ocean like it used to be at all.

Mentioned in this post
The Coffee Shack
The Coffee Shack
1,120 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where is this restaraunt?

I think because it dramatically "falls down" right below the shack and rolls up and down until you see a wide open expanse of land and ocean right on to the horizon that someone might see it as a valley..

14. Re: Where is this restaraunt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2009, 10:19
;