We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current Vog state

Bonita, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Current Vog state

We are leaving next Friday for Kona - 1st visit. I am just wondering how the Vog is currently. I am not concerned about it so much, just curious as to how bad it is these days... We will be staying at the Sheraton for a week, before moving on to Maui. Thanks - see you next week!!!

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
Four Seasons Resort Hualalai
#1 of 14 hotels in Kailua-Kona
Kona Tiki Hotel
Kona Tiki Hotel
#2 of 14 hotels in Kailua-Kona
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort
Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort
#3 of 14 hotels in Kailua-Kona
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Current Vog state

on a scale of 1 to 500 , 1 being none 500 being extreme ; Kona, according to the Govt. readings is about 56 yesterday..... ok daily readings are between 30 and 75......

I dont even notice it...... Maybe if I leved nezt door to chicken little...he'd warn me

When trade winds die...Maui and Oahu get the same haze.....that is all it is is a vety lite haze

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Bonita, CA
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Current Vog state

Thanks very much for the reply... Can't wait to get there!!

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current Vog state

This is a useful link to bookmark, a satellite map showing S02 levels over the state - right now they are low but we also have hazy conditions on the east side.

…noaa.gov/pub/OMI/OMISO2/hawaii.html

then here is another fun link, the forecast discussion for the next week.

www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php…

It says that the southeasterly winds will spread vog over the state through this Saturday, and next week will have strong and wet tradewinds. Expect rain on the east side ...

there is a front moving in from the northwest.

Note that "long range" begins 5-7 days out and is full of uncertainty, so it will not be until next week that the weather service will have a decent idea of the time frame for your visit.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current Vog state

very interested in hearing more about vog impact on Kona side. Have heard stories it is pretty bad.

Would love to hear other opinions.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,496 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Current Vog state

To me it's primarily a long term impact that effects a segment of the population, not all by any means.

For visitation, it detracts a great deal from the gorgeous vistas when it is strong.

Some people will cough and get headaches while in it, even visitors.

Dan says it is no worse than any polluted city, but the fact is that many people cannot feel well in city pollution. People do in fact move away from cities for that reason. If you come from a city with a lot of air pollution, it may be a wash, but you will miss that delightful feeling of traveling to a place with really clean air.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current Vog state

Forget the "long term" thing. I changes and it changes quickly. We had a beautiful morning with sunshine and blue sky this morning, but you can't even sea the horizon now (3PM.)

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
11,212 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Current Vog state

Conversely, in Honolulu the vog was worse this morning when the Kona winds were moderate (with conditions bad enough that many folks were complaining), but now that the winds have slackened it is much clearer, with a pleasant evening in store.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
8. Re: Current Vog state

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 04:37
;