We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

Alaska
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

I have seen some conflicting information on this forum regarding the green sand beach...is there a way to get to it without trespassining on someones property?

Where do you park? Pay?

or should I just skip it?

I won't hike to it, if I will be tresspassing - I know where I live - something like that, would not be appreciated.

Thank you

Big Island ATV Tour Above Waipio...
489 Reviews
from US$176.04*
Free Cancellation
Private Tour: Hawaii Island Adventure
10 Reviews
from US$225.00*
Free Cancellation
Big Island Waterfall Tour from Kona...
81 Reviews
from US$186.46*
Free Cancellation
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

I would at least suggest calling before saying that a previous poster's information is false!

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

I have had the same experience as TT, first it was you need to have people call before hiking and stop by to get the "key" and pay $25. if they drive.. Then it was hiking only no driving..

Then it was we are shutting it down no hiking or driving, too many people are leaving trash and taking the sand (which by the way is bad luck as it is the same as taking lava).

Now it is hiking OK no need to call..

All in a 6 month time frame LOL.

I agree with guillame9810 call first.. and anyone who goes (this is not being directed to anyone) make sure the place is left better than you found it.. that way they might leave it open to hikers. The winds blow very strong there and it is easy for something to fly out of your hands.. if you see something left by someone else take it out with you ;o)

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

PS. BeyondNback, you called the wrong agency. Hawaiian Homestead is a technology job creation and community capacity building initiative of the Council for Native Hawaiian Advancement, and it has nothing to do with Green Sands. That property is owned by the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

TT,

Thanks for pointing out my own spread of misinformation. Actually I called Hawaiian Homelands but mistakenly typed Hawaiian Homesteads in the post. Appreciate you clearing that up and agree that answering this poster's question is a moving target.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,503 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

For the sake of clarity about phone numbers and agencies,

I called the East Hawai'i District office of the DHHL, in Hilo.

808-974-4250

the same number I called at end of July.

The same woman answered. No, I did not ask her name.

She was very clear on the information. You know how some people here will say "not too sure" -- she wasn't like that.

And to make matters more confusing, and without in any way trying to discredit what other people have been told -- I did say to her that I was calling because I had heard that maybe it was closed to the public.

And she just said, "no ... "

as in, I don't know what you mean, that hasn't been the case.

I begin to wonder if we have more than one agency giving different answers, people reporting incorrectly in the papers.

That's why I posted the exact phone number.

The DHHL has a West Hawai'i District office in Kamuela, and an Oahu office in Kapolei, but I find that generally a Big Island person is more knowledgeable about what goes on here than those who work in Oahu offices. Not a slur, but just the ones on island have the more local awareness.

If someone wants to call the Kamuela office, that would be interesting.

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Kapolei
Kapolei
Oahu, HI
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

>>I find that generally a Big Island person is more knowledgeable about what goes on here than those who work in Oahu offices. Not a slur, but just the ones on island have the more local awareness.>>

Yes! I called the main DHHL office on Oahu and it took them a while to find someone who was up to speed on the latest Green Sand Beach policy. At least the answer was the same from the Hilo and Oahu offices!

The guy I spoke with was extremely nice and was very concerned that this place could get easily ruined.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Alaska
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

Thank you for your posts - I will call first, and see what kind of a response I get...so much controversy seems to surround the question that I may just hold off for now. This will be my first trip to the BI, and I have a lot of ther things planned.

I just didn't want to be one of "those" tourists. I live in Alaska, and we have our share of them here.

Again, thanks for trying to clarify the answer for me.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

seems to me....(sorry just interjecting a bit of logic), That if this area is in such a state or turmoil... with a myriad of state agencies and cultrual factions all focused on one thing ;

" closing down access to the area in total". That any sane and rational person would avoid the area in total....write it off. Still feel enttled to go ?

Well in the words of the late George A. Custer, " there not gonn'a keep me out of there"..... The rest is hstory.

This is an area to steer clear of for dozens of reasone....forget what " wild willies guide to secret hawaii " said.......We as outsiders have overstayed our welcome in this area..... enjoy another palce geared to welcoming visitors... not one that fears them.

Here is a salent fact; the south of this island the Ku'a region is the last undeveloped and totaly original coast in all the state of Hawaii. The local residents, wanting to preserve what ; they see as their heritage, want to keep it un touched from tourism and development...period.

You as tourists... are a distinct threat to preserving this goal. You as a tourist are what they want to stop....Theirs is not a visitor economy it is a cultural local village economy and want to stay that way.....

Please, quit calling all these agencies....trying to get an answer that suits your desire.

Rather take the broader and more mature view...." this is an area ,that needs to left to Hawwaiians.... for them to use as they see fit....

Non Hawaiians should only plan to visit it if they have a personal invite.....it is not one of the lands of Disney....and you and I have no place or right forcing our way in, un invited.

Please go see somethng else.....

Mentioned in this post
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

Good points Dan,

I for one would like to apologise for recklessly promoting Green Sand Beach as an OK spot for a visitor to hike. Also sorry for bothering the man at work.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,503 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Green Sand Beach??? Will I be Tresspassing???

Don't be sorry. I apologized to the nice woman I spoke to for bothering her, saying I would pass her info on and maybe save her from getting more calls, and she indicated that it doesn't bother her if people call.

There are other people who go there, locals, who are not Native Hawaiians. It isn't open to just one race. That said, I've never gone there. There are certain places I feel like leaving alone for those who live in the area. One is Waipi'o Valley and another is Papakoloea.

However I see nothing wrong with Aurora hiking there, or any other such respectful visitor. The people who drive 4x4's in there should stop, and stop telling others it's a cool thing to do, is my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Waipi'o Valley
Waipi'o Valley
856 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI