We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

Phoenix, AZ
3 posts
Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are moving to Kona this coming Monday, July 6th (and we're getting quite excited!). I've been reading a ton online and really enjoy reading the advice and info here in this forum -- I was hoping that someone might have some suggestions for us.

We can stay with some family until we find a place, but then were thinking it might make sense to find a furnished place to rent for a month or so in order to give us a chance to get to know the area better and understand better what our options are before we look for something more permanent.

Does this seem like a good idea?

Since it's just for a month, we're pretty flexible:

- Our budget is up to about $1400, although we'd be open to higher depending on what it includes.

- We'd love something in a great location that is walking distance to town if possible.

- We're flexible in terms of type (condo vs. house, etc.) and size of place.

I've been scouring Craigslist pretty regularly, and that's been useful, but I was curious if anyone had any other suggestions for us -- anything (whether it's specific places or just good ways to find a place once we're there) would be useful!

Thanks!

-- Lewis

LA
Level Contributor
11,517 posts
1 review
1. Re: Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

You are asking for accomodations for $50 a day?

Phoenix, AZ
3 posts
2. Re: Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

Thanks for the note. I'm really just asking for advice on this approach. I think that $1000-1400 will be about our budget (my wife and I both work for a non-profit) for when we eventually find a place long-term (say, a one-year rental). From my research, I'm assuming we won't be living in something luxurious by any means, but that it will be possible to find something.

So with that in mind, I thought I'd see if a reasonable approach would be to find something for a month first at the high-end of that range would be a possibility. I of course realize that if I were looking for a place for a few days or even a week that $50/night would not be reasonable, but haven't been able to gauge quite as accurately a cost for monthly rentals (which, at least from my experience elsewhere, will go for considerably less than a nightly or weekly rate, for obvious reasons).

But, that's why I've asked for advice -- my research so far seems to indicate that this is possible enough (as I've lined up a couple options) to at least ask for opinions.

Tampa, FL USA
Level Contributor
128 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

I think it is a great idea to stay somewhere for a month before committing to a year lease. I'd check with VRBO.com and also with rental agents. It seemed to us that tourism was down, so I think you'll have options and that some owners will be happy to have a month's income on their property.

Texas
Level Contributor
821 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

I'd check with the local nonprofit you may be going to work for and see what their staff might know "locally." Also, check the ads in the local newspaper.

Post an ad on Craigslist saying dates, your situation, what you are willing to pay.

Because this is busy family vacation season, it might be tough to get a location so close to town for the price you are able to pay. . .

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

While there are lots of places available for rent in the $1,000-$1,400/month range, they all are based on a long term lease. I doubt you will find anything great for a one-month lease in that price range, except the Kona Islander Inn.

BTW, please note that you will have to pay 4.1666% GET and 7.25% TAT in addition to the base rent on all rentals less than 180 days.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

TT now that it is July the TAT is now 8.25% I think..

Kona Islander... to be clear I believe TT is saying that you might get in there for that price, not that he recommends it.

South Pole
Level Contributor
41,507 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

I think Craigslist is a very good indicator of what's out there other than unadvertised stuff you could find through your family. DO put up a WANTED ad of your own. You should also talk to people and check bulletin boards in supermarkets and wherever you find them.

I think you need to get a car, so that the walking distance part isn't important.

When I moved here seven years ago I did a one month short term condo rental for $1000 in Waikoloa Village. Obviously that's not the locations you named. Prices have gone up since then but they've also come down.

Phoenix, AZ
3 posts
8. Re: Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

Great, thanks everyone for all of the advice! We're normally not this last-minute, but my wife just got the job a few weeks ago, so we're scrambling to pack up and head out. We're off in the morning, and with your advice, hopefully it will work out well!

9. Re: Suggestions for a last-minute one-month-or-so rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 01:16