We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who is the KVR type?

Arizona
Level Contributor
125 posts
96 reviews
Who is the KVR type?

Can you describe to me who is the kind of person that enjoys Kona Village Resort? It's ok to generalize!

I see there are a distinct group of people who return year and year and I'm wondering if it's possible to categorize them as a group? Or rather, is the appeal fairly universal?

I'm just trying to gauge whether we would enjoy it or not. Are there lots of activity options (fee included) in addition to simply relaxing? Or are most activities added cost?

We like hiking, photography, culture, some relaxing, good food, etc. Luxury isn't necessary. We like a mix of activities and down time.

Thanks!

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
21. Re: Who is the KVR type?

That's $200 per person, isn't it? So $400 for two is a good bargain, but closer to a reasonable price for KVR.

Kama'aina Wannabe...
Level Contributor
338 posts
21 reviews
22. Re: Who is the KVR type?

Bill & David, I "waffle" (pardon the pun) between both schools. I exercise more and cut back on eating before vacations so I can look and feel good in my bathing suit, so I arrive in shape and we do a lot of hiking, snorkeling, swimming, kayaking when we're there, but the selection of food makes me go a bit bonkers. I have had 3 desserts at lunch; mocha cake, carrot cake and Kona coffee ice cream. I justify this by saying that they might not have mocha or carrot another day during the week (yeh, right!)

Sunny, kayaks, snorkel gear, boogie boards, and sail fish are all included in the rate.

Bill, we have a funny Makalawena story-we attempted to drive there in an suv on one trip, but we had a couple of heavier family members in back...we bottomed out several times and turned around. Mr. TG and I still stay we would have made it if we hadn't eaten so much!

The two of us hiked in another day...

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
23. Re: Who is the KVR type?

David, it is $200 a person. Two person minimum.

TG. My wife also waffles at KVR. She loves them and the coconut syrup. And yes, I too have had multiple desserts at lunch. Key Lime Pie, homemade ice cream and maybe a choc. torte. Oh, I just gained a pound thinking about it.

Bill

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
24. Re: Who is the KVR type?

The easiest way to go to KVR and not gain weight is to gain a whole bunch of weight before you go... And no, that's not what I did. After I've eaten papaya, grapefruit, and orange juice, it's hard to get the breakfast server to bring just one egg and one piece of toast, and half a corned beef hash patty, but they will, under duress.

South Pole
Level Contributor
41,310 posts
4 reviews
25. Re: Who is the KVR type?

oh, thanks for that, David. $200 a total seemed insane, but I'm not used to hearing per person pricing quoted for Hawai'i (as everywhere else is not all-inclusive).

Still a very good price. My husband and I are budget travelers by necessity, and even $400 is far more than we would spend for a day, but it's good for what you get.

Our last vacation (sniff), which was to the South Pacific, we went for three weeks and the entire total for airfare, lodging, food, car, gas, and five excursions, was just over $200 a day for 21 days. (allowing $50 a day of that for meals, and using FF miles for the airfare). We are pretty cheap for people who don't camp out and like nice dinners with wine. ;-)

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
25 reviews
26. Re: Who is the KVR type?

We're relatively cheap people ourselves; clipping coupons, watching sales, etc. But our splurge is KVR. (That $200 a person deal is awfully tempting but I'm reminded that I've only got a few days of vacation left this year...)

While I eat awfully hearty at KVR, we take the perspective that the food is part of the experience. Like Bill says, with all of the walking and activities we do, we just enjoy everything within moderation. I did find that 2 desserts and ice cream is my limit at lunch time; anything more, and my stomach cries "no mas". Breakfast and lunch include a large portion of fresh fruit and the portions at dinner aren't enormous.

Kama'aina Wannabe...
Level Contributor
338 posts
21 reviews
27. Re: Who is the KVR type?

Mike, I love your picture. That is often my husband's complaint..."I don't have any more vacation time and I'd actually like to stay home for a change!"

David, I have gotten in the habit of asking for just one banana-mac nut pancake. I checked out your website and it's fabulous-a very accurate portrayal of the village.

28. Re: Who is the KVR type?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona