We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for wbpiii

Kama'aina Wannabe...
Level Contributor
338 posts
21 reviews
Question for wbpiii

Can you please give specific directions as to the beach you walk to just South of KVR? Is it on 4 Seasons property or further South? Mahalo1

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Question for wbpiii

Turtlegirl, the beach south is Kukio beach. It is past the four season or about .6 from the middle 4 season pool. Once you are on 4 SEason's property follow the the ocean cart path, past the big pond, and past 18th tee and continue on this cart path around the point until you hit Kukio. Also, if you cross the beach to the other side, there is a path that crosses the lava and takes you to Kikaua beach and if you are adventurous there is a path (well more like a small easily lost trail) all the way to kua bay.

Bill

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Question for wbpiii

Here is a link showing kukio in the upper right corneer. If you hit the left side red arrow, you can retrace the path.

http://hawaiianimages.net/cgi-bin/aerial?!8lnkd9eKvj3etOnpTifuIobTn9acKvd0tbEzuoeqIdCAnd7cK53arjnOn4aan5Otn0o48vdOrMAXTmfsIEnkdbvbvabTt0Enn0e1minLr0v7Olb0TaEInleNmAnTnAalOibeTCAYaoeUminErGolOobeTfEzuoe0mo0T04vK8v2rf1r5o2rnnfCr01eZle2OtbEmn4a0mgnHdAv4OvbTtMAQTraU1iOHn67cO5b0TrnnNmmNmSCTrejO831nfhgIn2rNnS0ArevKO9d0fCgnntmnmAdBuGoK802efzfnN4

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Question for wbpiii

Sorry that link is not working. I find another way.

go to hawaiianImages.net.

click coastline images

click on the big island

click on Kaupulehu

The first picture should be of Kona Village and its bay. If you hits the right red arrow it should come to the 4 seasons and then kukio (at Northkona 0749) which will have kikio in the upper left.

Bill

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Question for wbpiii

Great website; Mahalo!

Let's see if this link compression helps:

http://tinyurl.com/m9hd9r

Kama'aina Wannabe...
Level Contributor
338 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Question for wbpiii

Wow, Bill that is fantastic! I found Kukio and also my favorite hale, LS5. Sweet-I almost feel like I'm there. How long does it take you to walk there and any estimate on distance/time to Kua Bay (one of my hubbie's faves-he makes me leave the village to go there so he can body surf)!

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Question for wbpiii

BeachesMountains, thank you for the compression link.

Tg, Kua Bay is about 2.5 miles from KVR beach shack but the trai is very rough from the Kikaua parking lot to kua bay. Please go to google earth for a great view of the area. So from KVR to the end of Kukio maybe 35 minutes and another 5 to 10 to get to the Kikaua parking lot but then the trail will be rough and very slow going. I've never completely crossed the lava to Kau Bay. I had to turn back because of heat and lack of water.

Bill

Kama'aina Wannabe...
Level Contributor
338 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Question for wbpiii

I hear you, Bill. We'll walk to Kukio and drive to Kua. We've walked in to Makalawena before and that was a hot one over lava, too.

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Question for wbpiii

TG, if you have never been to the little beach Kikaua it's a cute place and an easy walk from the end of Kukio.

BTW have you been to the little black beach north of the village?

If we don't talk before then or I forget, please have a great time and anniversay at KVR this September. I do recall the stresses of last year. ;)

Bill

9. Re: Question for wbpiii

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 02:19
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations