We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

BratTee1
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

Going to Kona for a weekend getaway from Oahu. Looking into staying at the Sheraton on a Kamaaina Rate of 169.00 and free self-parking. Is it worth it? My teenager was hoping to see a Manta Ray without going on a tour. Or any other suggestions for a nice hotels.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,049 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

Brat, I'm glad you posted a topic. As I said by PM, another Kona choice might be the Outrigger at Keauhou.

The manta viewing at the Sheraton is from the bar, and that's open to the public. Don't pick the Sheraton just for the mantas.

Sheraton's big attraction is the pool.

Snorkeling is best next door to the Outrigger. Of course you can drive to that from the Sheraton.

I have to say that $169 is a bad rate in this economy. A friend of mine just got Hilton Waikoloa for $125 kama`aina rate ($15 for parking). The Hilton is so much better. No manta rays though.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

Don't take the Kamaaina rate, I sent you a PM.

Oregon
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

we just returned from the big island (yesterday) We stayed at the Sheraton 2 years ago, and visited it while we were there this time. Pool still looks great but the hotel is looking a little run down, and service is lacking. I know I heard they may be getting forclosed on, which would explain this. I dont know what the rooms look like. As for the Mantas, they dont show up until after the snorkel and dive boats leave now that they updated their lights that attract the mantas food.

BratTee1
Level Contributor
54 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

thanks for the update about the Sheraton and the Mantas.

Kama'aina Wannabe...
Level Contributor
338 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

The Sheraton Keauhou has been foreclosed on by Bank of America and is being auctioned off on July 31st.

This will not prevent us from staying here (I hope) in September-we have 2 nights booked with Starwood Points before moving on to our favorite, Kona Village.

I think the hotel is great. You can't get any closer to the ocean, the pool is great and the night manta ray viewing is special.

I wouldn't stay here for a week as my ultimate BI resort, but to stay close to Kona and a fairly short drive to VNP it's a solid choice. I'm always amazed at the reviews that blast it for not having a beach. I believe it's the traveler's responsibility to know whether the resort you're staying at has a beach BEFORE you go!

It sounds like TT and KK are taking care of you with rate/hotel suggestions. Enjoy your mini vaca!

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

Here a link re the foreclosure:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31571383

USA
Level Contributor
399 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

Sorry to hear that this hotel is filing bankruptcy. It has a great location and, as mentioned, a fantastic pool. Hopefully it will remain open. Their oceanfront rooms are about as close to the water as you can get.

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

This property has a history of foreclosures. There must be something that makes it unattractive. I have heard that it is architecturally cold. Also the lack of beach has been mentioned. It's sad. Can anyone comment on this snake-bite location as to why it cannot stay operational.

Bill

9. Re: Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2010, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations