We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront Budget Condo?

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Beachfront Budget Condo?

Are there any budget ($150.00 or so per night) condos which are on a swimmable beach. The last time we were on the Big Island was four years ago and we stayed in a family members timeshare on Holua Resort at the Mauna Loa. We did like this condo complex but there was no beach at all near here.

sacramento
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Beachfront Budget Condo?

beachfront and budget are mutually exclusive on the isle of hawaii. It will be interesting to see what the board recommends. There must be a studio apartment somewhere for the amount.

Naalehu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
109 posts
2. Re: Beachfront Budget Condo?

Kona Reef Condos is right next to a swimmable beach with a little sand.

Kona Magic Sands is right next to a beach, and White Sands Village is right across the street.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,602 posts
312 reviews
3. Re: Beachfront Budget Condo?

What time of year? Magic Sands gets rough in winter.

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,468 posts
126 reviews
4. Re: Beachfront Budget Condo?

Let me comment...

The only swimable beach, that is water with or without sand.. is Kahaluu lagoon and King Kam beach and by the pier on Alii Drive

There are no condos on swimable beaches except for Kolea in Waikoloa...and they start at $400-500 a night. It is the only condo here on a beach.

The Marriott Hotel is on a great beach and can be had on priceline for under $150-200

Compare to Mauna Kea at $450 a night. which has the best beach

Some Like Hapuna, which has a lot of rips...and some rave about it. The lifeguards rave about it too...as the beach with the most injuries and rescues in Hawaii.

The beach by the Reef condo...is a surfers spot...notes for good waves that break on the off shore reef...it is very rocky and rough... NOT a swimmers or snorkelers beach....nasty

Magic Sands, called "La Aloa", is a body surfing beach, noted for big breakers and rough conditions..some times, seldom seen ,it lays flat and is good for swimming for a few hours during the month.... But 90% of the time its called tragic slam

Beaches here are very few as we are a young island... Maui over 1million years older.. Hotels or Condos on a beach command the highest rates....none are budget

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
5. Re: Beachfront Budget Condo?

We are going the last week of October. I am looking at the Hale Kona Kai condo complex. Some people here on their reviews state you can walk to White Sands Beach. These condos are oceanfront but there are no grounds. Four years ago when we went we stayed at Holua Resort at Mauna Loa where there grounds were very beautiful but no ocean view. My brother gave me his week of his timeshare there. I am trying to decide if spending the extra money and staying at Hale Kona Kai this year would be worth it. Just trying to decide if the smallness of Hale Kona Kai would be worth the oceanview. Anyone who has been there - can you share your experience.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Beachfront Budget Condo?

The White Sands Beach is about three miles from the Hale Kona Kai, but there is an ocean front public park with a sliver of sand called Honl's Beach a short distance from the Hale Kona Kai. Only you can decide what's more important for you, being on ocean front or have nice grounds. I used to live on ocean front but I prefer to look at the ocean over a nice garden.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,530 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: Beachfront Budget Condo?

Condo on a swimmable beach= Kolea....which exceeds your budget specifications. You may have to change your specifications or delay your trip until your budget matches your tastes.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,602 posts
312 reviews
8. Re: Beachfront Budget Condo?

You may be able to find one on Maui. More beaches. More sand.

Naalehu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
109 posts
9. Re: Beachfront Budget Condo?

Here's a link to a condo at Kona Reef, check out the pictures of the view of the beach.

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p313985

Michigan
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
10. Re: Beachfront Budget Condo?

Thanks BillB2 - that condo looks great at the Kona Reef but is unavailable the last week of October. Does anyone else have any otheer recommendations of certain condo # at Kona Reef?

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations