We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Kona coffee in Canada

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
11 reviews
Buying Kona coffee in Canada

I know there are some websites that ship Kona coffee but unless its to the continental 48 states, the international postage and shipping is crazy.

To all the Canadians for visit this forum, where can I buy 100% Kona coffee? If not 100%, what about the 10% blends?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Buying Kona coffee in Canada

You might as well buy the cheapest coffee from Vietnam instead of the 10% Kona-Blend. They use the lowest grade Kona coffee for the blends and that 10% does not make any difference in the taste.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Buying Kona coffee in Canada

I agree, do not settle for less than 100%

Try

http://www.sharkyscoffee.com/

Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Buying Kona coffee in Canada

Try the specialty coffee shops in your area. I know that I used to have a blend custom made, with Kona as part of it. It was very expensive for the 100% Kona.

If you are ever near a Trader Joes (US grocery store chain--google location in the states near you), they have Kauai coffee for sure and Kona as well (if I remember correctly).

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,100 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Buying Kona coffee in Canada

We can find 100% Kona at a some of our Costcos...skip the 10%! YUCK!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Buying Kona coffee in Canada

Haven't seen the Kona coffee in Canadian Costo stores yet although we did buy chocolate coverered mac nuts last Christmas from the Calgary Costco. Haven't seen them this Christmas.

Kona coffee may show up yet!! But it is Costco and pretty unpredictable.

Agree with others; the 10% stuff isn't worth it.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Buying Kona coffee in Canada

Will skip on the 10% blends. I actually saw a 10% blend at a Sobey's grocery store in those grind-it-yourself coffee dispersers but will pass.

Might just go with one of those websites and suck it up for the shipping charges. Gonna be expensive coffee but guess it's still cheaper than going through Starbucks...or even Tim's for that matter.

Thanks for everyone's tips. I took a look at the Sharkys website. Any other suggestions?

Edited: 24 December 2009, 00:39
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Buying Kona coffee in Canada

Why is Sharkys coffee ($13.95/lb) cheaper (relatively) to other Kona coffee like Greenwell Farms ($26.95/lb) who have a large online presence?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
8. Re: Buying Kona coffee in Canada

Sharky's Coffee is now known as www.hawaiianvolcanocoffee.com. It's outside of the Kona Coffee boundary lines, they have 10 acres of coffee in Hawaiian Acres. I have been drinking their coffee for six years, and while it's not "Kona" it's the best coffee on the island IMHO. Their use organic fertilizers and it's a family business. Many of the well known Kona coffee companies actually buy coffee from small farms and sell it under their labels. That's not the case with Sharky's, all their coffee is from their three coffee plantations.

Ontario
Level Contributor
490 posts
1 review
9. Re: Buying Kona coffee in Canada

We order from Greenwell. Periodically, (even right now - to the end of December I think) they are offering free shipping to Canada.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Buying Kona coffee in Canada

Ask who it is being shipped through.

US Postal Service is better.

UPS charged me $32 to collect the GST of $2 that was applied to something that wasn't subject to GST (food item) or any other tax/duty. No arguing or explaining with them, that was their policy.

Edited: 24 December 2009, 11:07
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations