We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kona Area vs Kohala Coast Area

Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
16 reviews
Kona Area vs Kohala Coast Area

I've done research on both and can't decide which area to stay in. We're flying in and out of Kona and if we stay in Kona I think I'll choose the Holua Resort at the Mauna Loa Village and in Kohlal we'll book either the Hapuna Beach Prince Resort of the Marriott Waikoloa Beach Resort. Suggestions? Are both beach areas just as nice? Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,604 posts
312 reviews
1. Re: Kona Area vs Kohala Coast Area

I prefer Hapuna to A-Bay, but the Prince is more remotely located. It is, however, close to Mauna Kea beach and hotel. You could walk over to MK beach (avoiding parking pass hassles) from the north end of Hapuna. Not sure if Prince will shuttle you over.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,530 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Kona Area vs Kohala Coast Area

I'm going to assume you know there is no beach area at Holua resort. The beaches are up in South Kohala region.

Is the Marriott the only choice in WBR? I'm not a fan of the property. Agree that Hapuna is somewhat remote. ( But better beach) There are many many options in WBR and Mauna lani resort.

What is your nightly budget? Location wise.. it is difficult to compare Holua with Hapuna or Marriott. The areas they are located are so so different. The Big Island changes significantly as you travel it's coastline. The weather in South Kohala is almost always , clear, dry with blue skies.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Kona Area vs Kohala Coast Area

Depends on if you want to do see the whole island or just relax on the beach. In that case you want to be in the Waikoloa area for best beaches. If you want to see the whole island maybe 4 nights at a Wailoloa resort, 2 nights at Kilauea Lodge in Volcano, and maybe 4 nights at a nice Kona condo.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,053 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Kona Area vs Kohala Coast Area

The Prince and the Marriott are completely different in feel.

Their beaches and the water conditions are completely different.

The availability of off property restaurants and shops is different.

The feel of the location is different.

One way to get the feel is to go through the traveler photos associated with the TA reviews for each place. Pictures say more than I could if I wrote for an hour.

As for which beach, it depends on who "we" are, what you want to do at the beach, and what time of year. Without more information, the answers you'll get are just other people's preferences.

If you don't care whether you get Marriott or Hapuna, your best price deal is on Priceline NYOP, if you know how to bid ...

I don't know anything about Holua except that a lot of people who stay there are timeshare, so don't assume it is a top place because of the reviews. Adeline and Typically Tropical would have useful opinions on it, as they know all the Kona places.

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Kona Area vs Kohala Coast Area

I am not a Waikoloa person so in Kohala I would choose the Hapuna Prince. I do not find it remote at all, only another 10 minute drive past Waikoloa.. Not as much shopping but you can drive to shopping. In Kailua Kona you have lots to choose from, why or how did you narrow things down to Holua Resort at the Mauna Loa?

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Kona Area vs Kohala Coast Area

I stayed at Hapuna Beach Prince for the first time last month. I love bustling, touristy areas like Kona and Waikiki, but not at the expense of staying on a great beach. And Hapuna is, indeed, a great beach. In fact, it's now my pick for best beach in all of Hawaii (I've been to all four major islands).

On two different days, we strapped on snorkels right at the beach and swam with sea turtles. One day we sat on the sand and watched spinner dolphins put on a show. The water is the aqua color you get in the Caribbean, and the sand is Caribbean white.

The resort rooms were in need of renovation. So don't expect posh luxury. But if a beach is your No. 1 priority -- as it is for me -- then Hapuna's the place.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Kona Area vs Kohala Coast Area

I meant to add: The Marriott is a much nicer property -- up-to-date, elegant, and a bit Disneyesque in its sprawling pool area. I suspect the rooms are much nicer, too. And Marriott's in a great area for shopping and dining. But, because of spectacular Hapuna Beach, I prefer the Prince.

8. Re: Kona Area vs Kohala Coast Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2010, 02:23
Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations