We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay Big Island

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
Where to stay Big Island

My husband and I are planning our 1st visit to BI in Aug 2012 for 2 weeks, We have just returned from 3 days Maui ( Royal Lahaina ) and 7 days Oahu ( Turtle Bay ). Both fantastic and we are looking for something of a similar standard but not a resort. Our main wish list is for a beach hotel with sea view rooms, great sunsets, close to a choice of eateries and because we are travelling from the UK not more than 1 to 11/2 hrs from the airport. At this early stage I am not sure which is the destination airport. We both enjoy drives ( not scary high narrow roads ) to see as much as poss of the Island. If the budget for accom is good then we plan to buy a few guided tours too. Our budget is appx $150 to $250 per night (room price)

Also does anyone know the name of the song heard a lot in Oahu

included in the lyrics 'from the mountains to the sea' and ' on these islands? This grew on me and can't get the litlle bit I know out of my head. Mahalo and look forward to reading tips etc.

Paradise, California
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
1. Re: Where to stay Big Island

checklass, could the song possibly be this one: …smugmug.com/Category/…880195949_iVWAy-A-LB

I don't know the title, but the clip is taken from my website, www.davidskvr.net which was my love song to Kona Village Resort.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,861 posts
2. Re: Where to stay Big Island

Best lodgings on Big Island are in the Kohala area (NW). This is not your 'typically tropical' island -- not like Oahu or Maui. Restaurants are rather thin on the ground and far ranging.

I don't see your budget buying you ocean view at a hotel in the Kohala area, but...try Kona. You'll have a rental car, right? How long will you be there? Is a condo a possibility? (Less per night and you'd save on meals out.)

Take a look at the 'live from Big Island ' posts by scorchestra.

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay Big Island

If you wish gorgeous sunsets, then you want the west side, which is the KOA side. I like the Waikoloa Beach Resort area. There are a good number of restaurants. 2 hotels and several condos with ocean views.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,027 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay Big Island

Yes, you want to fly into KOA.

August is going to be expensive, because it's still school hoidays, and there will be a lot of kids.

If it's on the beach, it WILL almost certainly be what we call a resort hotel, but you may use the word resort differently. Our definition of resort need not describe a large complex, more the range of services.

The two least expensive hotels in Kohala are the Hapuna Prince and the Marriott, with the Hilton (a big resort) next in line.

The Prince is the best beach, by far, your best shot at a sea view for the money, but it is not in a cluster of restaurants. Ten minutes away there are off property choices, if that will do.

The Marriott will be busy with families and have a lot of noisy kids in the otherwise lovely pools. The beach is less nice, but still nicer than anything south in Kailua Kona, and the full sea view is going to be at a premium due to the design of the hotel, which has far more partial ocean views.

Take a look at the Prince ...

princeresortshawaii.com/hapuna-beach-prince-…

The Prince runs some good promotions, but I think it is too far in advance for one for next summer. Take a look at the promo prices you can get at this time to get an idea of what might be available.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Where to stay Big Island

Sorry not that one. The one i heard has a sort of Calypso style.

Many thanks.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Where to stay Big Island

Thanks ChiSue.

We will have a rental car ( my husband insists ) and a condo is a possibility but I think I would prefer a hotel. I understand BI is quite different to Maui and Oahu but its this difference that we would like to experience. After BI I would hope our next visit ( 2013 ) will be to the smaller more tropical Islands of Kuai and Lanai.

As you may see in my other replies The Hapuna Prince seems favourite for now,

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Where to stay Big Island

Mahalo KamaainaK.

I agree the Prince is my preferred choice so far, I will look into the Hilton as an alternative. Thanks for the booking tip too.

You are right about the timing. When it comes to vacations I soooooo wish i didn't work in a school. My holidays must be taken during this busy and expensive time.

We are both quite happy to walk or drive a short distance for our evening meal.

I really want to try and avoid resort fees because other than the pool and sea view there is very little else we would want from a resort. Maybe in 10 years time a resort vacation would be ideal but not now when we want to see so much of our host island.

I am sure over the coming months I will be posting more questions. Thanks again.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,861 posts
8. Re: Where to stay Big Island

I do love Big Island. Until we bought on Maui, it was the only island where we stayed for up to five weeks. I like to make sure people know how different it is, though. It's not 'beach-y'; there's vog; there are few restaurants; the volcano isn't 'on' all the time! lol It will be quite hot in August.

If you want to explore VNP, it's really best to 'move house' and stay in Volcano overnight, rather than try to do a daytrip from the other side of the island. You can also take a helicopter tour out of Kona airport.

I'll have to listen to some of my Hawaiian CD's to see if I can spot the song. I keep most of mine in the car to keep me sane in mainland traffic. I'm glad you are enjoying Hawaii, bit by bit. We've never stayed less than two weeks on any of the islands, but we don't haveto travel as far as you do.

Oh, you might look for your song on the Mountain Apple recording company website.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
41,027 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Where to stay Big Island

oh, I see what you mean about the resort issue -- resort fees.

Well, I wouldn't look at it as paying extra for what you don't need. Just look at the whole cost per night. Resort fee or not is just how they apportion the cost. There is no exact science to hotel rates on figuring out value given for the dollar. It is more what they can get people to pay.

The Hilton is known for nickel and diming with extra costs for those who want to play at the resort. Other places may give guests snorkel equipment and other useful perks for free, so compare that.

The Hilton and the Hapuna are opposites in feel. Hilton is busy and full of kids in summer. It has no ocean beach. It is a huge property. It is hot in the interior in August, and humid. It has multiple pools and people get around by tram and boats.

The Hapuna is quiet and zenlike. It's common areas are lofty and cooled with breezes, all facing the ocean. People get around by walking and using elevators. It is more vertical level on level than spread out. It has one of the most lovely beaches in Hawai'i, or even in the USA. It is a sister hotel with the Mauna Kea, and you can use that beach.

One thing you would have with the Hilton is you can go off-property to eat without driving if you want to use the dollar shuttle. But I would not trade the serenity of the Prince for the busy Hilton just for that convenience. The hotel that is really easy access to outside food and without a shuttle is the Marriott.

If you want a break from lots of children, I suggest you avoid the Waikoloa hotels in August. Also, I really feel that Hapuna is a better place to beat the heat and humidity of late summer.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
46 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Where to stay Big Island

Thanks ChiSue.

I have been back in blighty now for 6 weeks and every day my mind and heart have been in Hawaii. I have so fallen in love with this beautiful and magnificent part of the world. My problem now is to get a reasonably priced vacation that will give me the go ahead from my husband. He is less fussy than me about accommodation but I am critter phobic and hotel upper floors seem a safe option. They also hopefully give great sea views. I have a query about flights. Are there flights direct from the mainland to BI or do thet all go to Honolulu? After 10.5 hrs plus from Uk we need to reduce transfer times as much as poss. If so which mainland area is this? Thanks also for the tip about

the song. I will try to locate it. I know it may sound cheesy but I do love Elvis Blue Hawaii, is it celebrated ( 50 years this year ) in any way?

Get answers to your questions about Kailua-Kona
Recent Conversations