We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Happy hour downtown?

Which Kailua-Kona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
illinois
Level Contributor
539 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sunset Happy hour downtown?

Our co-travelers are at King K and we are at Uncle Billys in April. Reading older posts it looks like Huggos or Dons or Bubba would be good places but a little south for happy hour and sunset.. Anything near the King K or is it a short walk to Huggos? Thanks

California
Level Contributor
785 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Happy hour downtown?

You're staying at Uncle Billy's? Have you stayed there before? It's probably the last place in Kailua-Kona where I would spend even one night.

Huggo's on the Rocks is a good place for Happy Hour, as is Don's with both places on the water.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Happy hour downtown?

Uncle Billy is my landlord (office). I walk through the hotel daily to get to work. It's really quite appalling, and if the termites stop holding hands, you're in trouble. You should move to the King Kam with your co-travellers.

Both Don's and Huggos are an easy 15 minute walk from the King Kam.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,040 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Happy hour downtown?

Don't stay at Uncle Billy's!!! OMG!

California
Level Contributor
785 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Happy hour downtown?

I imagine there are a 'few' cockroaches along with the termites. Place should be torn down.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Happy hour downtown?

Even the cockroaches know better!

illinois
Level Contributor
539 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Happy hour downtown?

Yikes, You guys are scaring us about Uncle Billys. The actual hotel reviews are not so negative but we will look at King K. Anyhow how far to walk to Huggos? Thanks for the warning

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,040 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Happy hour downtown?

>>> You guys are scaring us about Uncle Billys.

We are trying to! No one on this forum ever recommends it. Trust the forum more than the reviews.

Sorry, don't go there enough to answer the Huggo's question.

Re the hotels, on one hand your friends have picked a thoroughly renovated oceanfront hotel under Marriott management, in your court you have an old dump where the landlord puts no money into it and it would be THE place for druggies and transients if they wanted a cheap room.

There is basic and clean and cheap ... I get that ... but UB's is not that place.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,050 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Happy hour downtown?

LOL, KK. Yes, we're trying to scare you. Go to the King Kam.

Huggo's is about 10 minutes from Uncle Billy's, a 15 minute walk from King Kam, depending on how fast you stroll.

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunset Happy hour downtown?

"Yikes, You guys are scaring us about Uncle Billys."

Nope. You will be scared when you get there! It's not even a real hotel, most rooms are rented long term by transients. It's a well known drug and prostitution heaven. I had a client once who didn't listen to my advice of not to stay there. He came to HI, checked-in and checked-out the next morning, moving to another hotel. That was years ago, and since they have not done anything at the hotel since, I assume it's in an even worst condition now. If you can't afford more than Uncle Billy's than stay at the Kona Seaside. (Same price range.)

illinois
Level Contributor
539 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunset Happy hour downtown?

Hello King K- goodbye Uncle Billys (I still can not understand why the hotels reviews were not more accurate). Since you people may have saved our lives can I buy you a beer at Huggos April 5 Happy Hour? Thanks to all