We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching on our way to Vancouver (with kids)?

nyc
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Whale watching on our way to Vancouver (with kids)?

Need itinerary help! We are traveling at the end of August with a 7 and 9 year old. We are planning on driving our own car to Vancouver after having spent 2-3 days in Seattle. We have 6 full days remaining for possibly San Juan Islands, Vancouver, and a day trip or overnight to Whistler as we fly out of Vancouver. Trying to see if we can possibly do a whale watching trip on our way up to BC. Should we a)drive to Anacortes and take a roundtrip whale watching tour from there or b)take our car on board the ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor and spend one night on San Juan Island? We can then return to Anacortes after doing a morning whale watching trip from Friday Harbor and then make our way up to Vancouver. Or c)should we just do a day trip on the Clipper from Seattle? Is there a better option you all would recommend? So many options... getting confused! Trying to come up with an itinerary that is suitable considering the kids' ages. Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Whale watching on our way to Vancouver (with kids)?

Whale watching trips out of Edmonds and Anacortes are "on the way". I personally wouldn't take car onto the ferry to San Juan Island if only goal was whale watching. You will see whales just the same without added expense of ferry from the other two locations. If you also want to explore San Juans, then ferry makes more sense. I'm not sure 1 night really gives you time for that.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
20,234 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Whale watching on our way to Vancouver (with kids)?

You can also get whale watching from Steveston near Vancouver which is not a detour and does not require ferries. https://princeofwhales.com/ there is another tour company if you google.

nyc
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Whale watching on our way to Vancouver (with kids)?

Thank you for the advice. Will look into Edmonds' tours. We were drawn to the idea of exploring Friday Harbor (albeit quickly) and driving to places like Lime Kiln State Park to see the wildlife. This is why we were considering the overnight and car. Not sure if that is doable without a car? If it's possible, might consider taking the ferry to Friday Harbor, exploring the first day and stay overnight, whale watch the second day, and then return to Anacortes (all without the car). I may need to repost on San Juan forum unless someone might be able to comment?

Cbaarach, I didn't even think to look at tours from Vancouver. Any idea if the boats have to travel further out coming from Vancouver? Will look into that option too.

Reply to: Whale watching on our way to Vancouver (with kids)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted