We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

Save Topic
Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

Hi, I'm headed to Seattle with 3 other adults. We've narrowed it down to these 5 - Best Western Plus Edmonds Harbor Inn in Edmonds, Coast Gateway Hotel, SeaTac, Ramada by Wyndham Tukwila Southcenter, La Quinta Inn in Lynnwood or Best Western Alderwood, Lynwood. Which areas are the safest? We'd like to head out in the evening and walk around. We love to shop bargains also. I've also read quite a bit about car break-ins so that's also a concern. Thanks

Best Seller
Seattle CityPASS
367 Reviews
from US$89.00*
Mt. Rainier Day Trip from Seattle
270 Reviews
from US$134.99*
Best Seller
Seattle Locks Cruise
257 Reviews
from US$46.79*
13 replies to this topic
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,791 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

None of those hotels are in Seattle; all are going to require a commute. The only one that would be even remotely pleasant to walk around at night would be Edmonds. Edmonds is a nice suburb. You can take the Sounder train in from there, but note times are pretty limited.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,779 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

All of those are suburbs quite a distance from Seattle. If you are planning to do any of the usual tourist activities they are not convenient at all. If the SeaTac one is close to the LightRail station that could work to use public transportation.

Or do you plan to use a rental car for sight-seeing?

As far as car break ins, just never leave *anything* in your car (whether you think it's visible or not). If there's nothing that looks like a possible "grab & run" no one will bother your car. I have never once heard of a car break-in where something wasn't left out ("oh it was just my gym bag", or "my phone was on the front seat but i only left for a minute", but "i hid my purse under the front seat", etc.)

Edited: 13 June 2018, 12:07
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

Edmonds would be the least convenient to get to Seattle. It's far from the freeway. Lynnwood and SeaTac could work and they have easy access to bus/light rail and freeway. SeaTac is definitely the least safe. Areas south of downtown are usually more rundown.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 12:12
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,652 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

No place to walk around in the evening at SeaTac. No shopping, either. If you want an urban experience, with places to walk after dinner and shopping opportunities, you need to stay in the city, not a car oriented suburb or an industrial area. Either resign yourself to driving everywhere, or stay in Seattle.

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,779 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

From SeaTac they could go shopping at the Southcenter Mall... it's huge. But I agree it's mostly commercial/industrial feeling around there. Not a place I'd want to take an evening stroll, like you would in one of the residential neighborhoods in Seattle.

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

Does train noise bother you? Edmonds Best Western is right on the busy rail line. You will hear trains all night! The plus is that Edmonds is a very walkable community and enjoyable to spend time in.

I like the La Quinta, Lynnwood choice. The Sound Transit Express Bus 512 leaves the transit center across the street frequently and makes a trip to downtown that is far faster than taking the light rail in from the airport. Usually just 20-25 minutes to downtown. There are many options for eating and restaurants nearby and it is on the Interurban trail for walking.

Outlet malls are closest to this one on your list.

Gateway hotel puts you on light rail, but there isn't much to do around there.....

Of your choices listed, I would choose La Quinta Lynnwood. A 20-25 minute bus ride to and from downtown just isn't that big of a deal.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 13:54
Seattle
Level Contributor
50,779 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

Even easier since it's 4 adults and sounds like they have a rental car (since they were concerned about break-ins)

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

For a feeling of the most security, Edmonds. Edmonds has an appealing small town vibe that you won't get in the others locations. But as mentioned the distance from Seattle and the train noise are considerations.

The hotels you identified in Lynnwood are, I guess, walkable to Alderwood Mall (about .9 mi). The La Quinta is more like a mile and a quarter to ALderwood. It is close to Lynwood Square.

I don't think staying in Seatac or Tukwila will necessarily present a significant safety risk. They are a little closer to downtown. There is very little of interest near the Coast Gateway.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
5,578 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

I think you should start from scratch. Edmonds does have a nice little downtown; that's the only one of the places you mentioned I'd consider staying, just because SeaTac, Tukwila & Lynnwood imo hold absolutely no appeal. You're Seattle bound, so aim to stay in, or at least closer to, Seattle. Let us know your budget & dates if you'd like some help with lodging.

~ Colleen

Seattle
Level Contributor
50,779 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?

But we don't know if they are even interested in sight-seeing in Seattle. They didn't mention that in their post. Besides walking around in the evening and shopping, we don't know their interests or plans.

Reply to: Seattle bound, looking for a safe area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted