We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

Which Seattle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

Arriving SEA-TAC at noon. Party of 8. Plan to stay Seattle 2 days, 1 overnight at Victoria, 5 days Vancouver. Few Options :-

1) Should we rent 2 cars from Sea-Tac, drive to Vancouver then to Victoria and back to Seattle? How much to pay to ferry the rental car on Clipper and BC Ferries?

2) Take Clipper from Seattle to Victoria. Rent a car in Victoria to drive around and return car. Take BC Ferries to Vancouver and rent a car in Vancouver and take Amtrak Train to Seattle.

3) Take Quick Shuttle from Sea-Tac to Vancouver. Rent cars in Vancouver and return cars. Take BC Ferries to Victoria and overnight there. Take Clipper to Seattle.

4) Take Amtrak train from Seattle to Vancouver. Rent cars in Vancouver and return cars. Take BC Ferries to Victoria and overnight there. Take Clipper to Seattle.

With the above few options, kindly advise which option is more cost and time saving for party of 8? Or any other suggestions?

How can we travel from Sea-Tac when arriving to Downtown with our luggages? Read about the Central Link Light Rail. Is this the Metro?

Between Quick Shuttle and Amtrak Buses, which is a better choice, considering we arrive at noon at Sea-Tac and may take either one of this bus to Vancouver?

Is Amtrak bus and train station at the same place? 303 South Jackson Street King Street Station Seattle, WA 98104

Appreciate your help !

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

I reject option #1 out of hand. Costs way too much. Option 2: Don't know about needing a car...depends on what you plan to do. It is a very compact city, and you can get to Butchart Gardens using public transportation. Option 3: I don't know anything about Quick Shuttle but this is a good plan otherwise. Option 4 is the absolute best IMHO. Finally, there is only one Amtrak station in Seattle and you have its address.

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

You can get into downtown from the airport using the new Lightrail (it is Sound Transit, not Metro which is the bus system). It does involve some walking (about 10 mins. from the airport out to the station) and personally I wouldn't do it with more than a single roller bag, but you do see people with large/multiple suitcases on the Lightrail, so it can be done. With a party of 8 though, I think I'd arrange some kind of van shuttle instead. It would be a lot easier.

suze

Fletchers Lake, NS
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

If you don't already have your airfare, it is cheaper to rent a car in Vancouver, BC because rental cars in Canada must come with the collision damage waiver already in the price. That will save you $12.95 per day.

If you have your airfare you may just want to take the train/bus up to Vancouver.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

Thank you for all your replies. Will consider all your suggestion. Will the ferry journey from Seattle to Victoria to Vancouver choppy in late Oct? Afraid will be unbearable.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,499 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

I do this trip all summer long as I work as a tour guide. Amtrak bus is always better than quickshuttle since it makes NO stops until the border. With 8 beiung cost effective is a little harder. I'd take the train to Vancovuer to avoid the border and the ride is far more interesting than driving. There is a bus to Victoria and you won't need a car much in either city. If you have more specifics I'd be happy to help

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

Hi David, thank you for all your informations. Read that it's not advisable to make trip to Rocky Mountain at our travel date - Oct 27 to Nov 4, but if we still want to go, is it feasible? Banff National Park, Lake Louise, Jasper, Glacier. Is the pass open for traffic or is there any other route to take? Hope you can advise. Have a Good Day!

Edited: 04 October 2011, 14:06
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,145 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

Hi Glacier - when are you planning to go to the Rockies? You don't have time in the current itinerary, so I'm assuming that this will be an add-on flight to Calgary (1h 45 min flight Vancouver-Calgary, then 2 hr drive to Banff) and you will need a minimum of three days there, preferably 5 - 7. So are you adding a week to your itinerary somewhere to do this?

I agree that of the options above, #4 looks to be the most sensible.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

Thank you for all the informatons.

No, I am not adding a week to my itinerary but do some changes (maybe just a day in Seattle and skip Victoria if water is too rough/choppy to travel to the island at that period. Is water rough?).

If I arrive and rent a car in Vancouver on Oct 28 and have about 6 to 7 days to drive to Bann covering the Lake, Glacier and those attractions there and back to Vancouver town. Is it feasible, safe and will those passes or roads still open to dirve in late Oct?

I guess our timing is not ideal to do ROCKIES but just check it out if it is still possible...CANADIAN ROCKIES !!!!

If not possible, will choose Option 4 as suggested by all of you.

Appreciate all your help and information.

Thank You

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
24,145 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

I would suggest that you move this question up to the Canadian Rockies forum for local information about what sort of weather you can expect in late October. I know the snow has already started falling in Jasper.

Overall, though I'm very confused about your trip. If you only have 8 days and you are planning to spend 6 of them going up to the Rockies and back, why are you flying into Seattle and then driving right away from Vancouver? It makes more sense to just fly to Calgary and see the Rockies if that is your objective.

No the water will not be too choppy to go to Victoria. The inland waterways are very flat and calm, with only a bit of open ocean exposure as you approach Victoria harbour.

I think you are trying to do two trips here, so you need to decide which one you want to do. Do you want to do Seattle-Vancouver-Victoria, or do you want to visit the Canadian Rockies? Either trip would be lovely - although the timing in late October suggests the coast would be better overall . Once you have figured out what you want to do, then we will be able to advise you.

If you are determined to try and cram all of this into your 8 days, then you are strongly advised to FLY return between Vancouver and Calgary.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st trip 8 days-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver-Seattle late Oct

Noted. Will stick to my Option 4 itinerary. Thank you so much for your advice. Have a Great Day!