We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

Which Anchorage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hamilton, New...
4 posts
Save Topic
Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

We're a couple of active, outdoorsy kiwis in our 30's, and are considering incuding an innerseas cruise in our trip to Alaska in early June. The advertising description of the cruise sounds great, but we have read one review where the average ages of guests was 60++ and alot of the adventurous side was removed from the itinerary or reduced to be very soft. Is this a typical age group and does this happen often? It's way too much money to come from the other side of the world if this is likely to be the case! We've also heard the cabins are tiny and noisy (recommended to bring ear plugs!). We're not expecting luxury, but is this the case?

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

Since you're not happy about it already why won't you just plan your own itinerary and visit AK independently?

Hamilton, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

Sorry, I never meant to sound unhappy with them! Infact, their brochures sound fantastic and exactly what we're after! BUT as I said, I have read one review on cruise critic where it was felt they did not deliver on what was promised. I was simply trying to find out what others experiences were with these cruises. I hope others write in to tell me they were great and that the poor review was not typical because they sound briliant.

We are curious to know what the average age is on these cruises, and if it is elderly, do they focus activities to cater more for them?

By the way, we are also planning to do an independant trip following the cruise. We thought they'd complement each other brilliantly.

Regina - Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

Hi,

I haven't been on one of their cruises - haven't even been to Alaska yet!

But I did find a few reviews, that you may or may not have come across. They may be helpful

Joe

www.cruisereport.com/crReview.aspx?id=2424

velvetescape.com/2011/…

…about.com/od/InnerSea-Discoveries/ss/Inners…

tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k4425…

tripadvisor.com.sg/…34107824

New York
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

Frankly, a cruise is meals, lodging and transportation. You do not have to be concerned with fellow passengers- were you planning on touring with them?

Demographics of Alaska cruises is the bulk middle aged and above, but all ages sail. The MAIN point of taking an Alaska cruise is for ALASKA, and YOUR plans in port, which have nothing to do with anyone else. :)

A cruise can be an excellent option, with daytime port hours, scenic glacier sailing, etc. A one way opens up great access for adding time for interior Alaska.

Determine- IF the inside passage is of interest to you?? Look over shore excursion lists to get ideas of WHAT there is to do in the ports. They are VERY different, so consider looking at a few. Available right on line.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

Budgetqueen she explained her concerns regarding the age demographic in her original post........

tschaupi, maybe you could contact Innerseas and ask them your questions, I think it is a valid point.........

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
958 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

There was a review recently over on the Fodor's forum by MiamiBeachMomma that described what activities they did on their cruise. It sounded like they were a family with 9 and 11 year old kids. We are planning on going with InnerSeas this August with our family consisting of two mid 40's adults and two 14 year old boys who are used to taking adventure vacations.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,566 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

My wife and I have done a lot of cruising and the average age of 60+ sounds unrealistic. In fact, what difference does it make. As for cruise ship activities we usually retire after the evening entertainment. Our drinks are usually limted to before and during dinner. We don't party the night away. Shore excursions are many and you have a choice to fit your physical condition.

Then maybe I'm confused with this innerseas thing and was thinking you meant Inside Passage. If you have concerns I would suggest Princess where we all don't care how old you are and have a good time.

Regina - Canada
Level Contributor
297 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

Just to try to clarify a bit....

The OP is looking to book a cruise with a company called Innersea Discoveries.

They are an outfit that uses small boats - 40 to 60 people.

Most of the activities are pre-planned, and launch from the boat itself - things like sea kayaking, snorkelling, taking a zodiac to shore, whale watching from a zodiac, or going on a 5 mile hike, etc etc.

Pretty much every day, you'll be wearing a wetsuit.

Their cruises are not like Princess, or HAL - rather, their slogan is "The UN-cruise".

And it sounds like the activities might change day to day, based on the desires of the passengers that day.

Because of that, it means the demographic of the passengers is actually quite important. If the OP wants to go on a strenuous sea kayak adventure, but no one else on board wants to go, then the sea kayaking might get cancelled in favour of a one hour nature walk. I'm not saying this happens (I've not even been to Alaska) - rather, that's the concern of the OP.

The OP found a review on CruiseCritic (I've seen the same review) where someone claims they went on one of Innersea Discoveries cruises, and found that all the strenuous activities (which they were looking forward to) got replaced with "walk in the park" activities. Personally, that review sounds very much like someone with a hidden agenda. But the OP is young and is looking for strenuous, adventurous, activities. They're concerned (because of the review), that Innersea Discoveries might change their activities from strenuous to relaxing (not something they'd want).

The OP is looking to hear from people who have sailed with (or know people who have sailed with) Innersea Discoveries to hear what their actual experiences turned out to be.

Joe

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
958 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

I think some people responding to the question do not understand that the Innerseas cruises are different than what you find with the more "traditional" cruises. The Innersea cruises do not stop ports at all so you do not have the traditional excursion choices you might find on another cruise. The Innersea cruise may have a couple of choices everyday like hiking, kayaking, snorkelling etc. They are marketed as an active adventure "uncruise". If you are a 30 something that finds that activities have been cut back or changed because everyone on the cruise is elderly, you could be severly disappointed. Though I have seen many people in their 60's and 70's that could out-hike and out-kayak most younger people!

Hamilton, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Average age on innerseas, and does it deliver on activities?

Thanks Irongrl and Joebaba, you hit the nail on the head with my concerns and with clarifying the nature of these "un-cruises." I guess I should have been more specific about them in my original post.

BTW, I couldn't agree more about some 60+ year olds being more active than many in the younger population (I hope I'm one of them when I get there!). They're the "Young at Heart" and usually great to travel with!

Thanks too joebaba for the links - very useful, and to mamabear, I might do just as you suggest. In the meantime, I look forward to hearing from anybody who's travelled with this company. :o)