We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is between Kansas City and Omaha?

New York
3 posts
Save Topic
What is between Kansas City and Omaha?

We are driving from Kansas City to Omaha in mid-July. Anything or anywhere fun, interesting, or must-see along the way?

Grand Island...
Level Contributor
166 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is between Kansas City and Omaha?

A bit off the interstate into Nebraska City is Arbor Day Lodge, Farm & Orchard. Historic home built by J Sterling Morton who is the founder of Arbor Day! We have not been yet but there is a Lewis & Clark Visitors Center. I think a couple wineries close by as well.

www.nebraskacity.com

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
124 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is between Kansas City and Omaha?

Nebraska City's Arbor Day Lodge

Rockport, MO where you can buy a lot of fireworks that are not legal in Nebraska

Glore Psychiatric Museum in Saint Joseph, MO (a very strange but interesting place with odd old treatments for psychiatric conditions)

Where Jesse James was killed in St. Joseph, MO

I like to stop in St. Joe because it is about a half way point.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is between Kansas City and Omaha?

There is nothing " Must See" for sure...

If you are taking I-29, Arbor Day lodge is off the path and I would say not worth the detour.

My recommendation - Its only a 3 hour drive, keep the pedal to the metal , you wont even have to stop for gas. .

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is between Kansas City and Omaha?

We visited the Pony Express museum in St. Joseph and also been to Jesse James' site. The museum was nice enough for a visit but it's not a must stop imo.

http://www.ponyexpress.org/history

Edited: 02 July 2012, 06:51
Omaha
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is between Kansas City and Omaha?

along the line of the other nebraska city comment I highly recommend the Lewis and Clark visitor's center the first left as you come across the missouri on highway 2

Bellevue, Nebraska
Level Contributor
230 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is between Kansas City and Omaha?

The Pony Express museum is a lot of fun.

Nebraska City is also neat depending on what you are into. It is very 'small town' historic feeling with a lot of things to do.

Also John Browns Cave which is just a few minutes off of I-29 and it was a part of the Underground Railroad. I went when I was a kid and it was interesting but haven't been back.

http://www.mayhewcabin.org/

Just a couple suggestions. :-)

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
66 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is between Kansas City and Omaha?

Stop in Weston, MO, just west of St Joes and check out the McCormick Distillary and the wine tasting. Neat little main street area.

8. Re: What is between Kansas City and Omaha?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Omaha
Recent Conversations