We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough spending money ??

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Enough spending money ??

Hi Folks

have just booked up for 2 weeks at the end of Sept 08 into the White Dolphin appts in Qawra .

Car hire too also paid for .

Question is do any experienced travellers think £1000 sterling will be enough spending money for me and the missus .

Not looking for haute cuisine every night, just something nice and reasonable .

Obviously will take plastic too as a back up but having never beeen to Malta before wondered how expensive it was compared to the Uk.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Enough spending money ??

Qawra is right next to Bugibba which has any number of good and reasonable restaurants. If you stop for beer it shouldn`t cost you more than eur 1.50 each , a capuccino would be about 55 euro cents. Once you have an apartment you can also prepare breakfast or lunch there. There are supermarkets in the vicinity.

As Malta is small, you won`t be spending lots of money on petrol.

Malta joined the euro zone on 1 Jan so we still have dual currency displayed, be careful that you look at the euro amount not the old malta liri.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Enough spending money ??

May I suggest you read the Malta Forum as there is lots of info on it that you should find useful. The Qawra one is very limited.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,217 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Enough spending money ??

Hi

Prices in Malta can be cheaper than the UK for certain things but more expensive for others. If you are buying stuff that is produced locally it will be cheaper e.g. local beers, local wines, local soft drinks, food produced locally etc. Buses are cheaper, petrol is cheaper. If you shop for clothes etc they have to be imported so might be more expensive.

When you are eating out you can pay as much as you want to. You can eat very well cheaply or you can go to more upmarket restaurants, drink foreign expensive wine and pay much more. It is totally up to you

Hope this helps

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
189 reviews
4. Re: Enough spending money ??

Hey you'll like White Dophin ... It's where discerning TripAdvisors stay in Qawra (tee hee).

Seriously though I think you'll like it there and at the end of September it is much easier to park outside there more than in August.

I hope you either have either a studio with balcony or penthouse as a lot of the 1 bedroom apartments face the back of the hotel and a big brick wall. There are some 2 bedroom apartments run all the way through as do the penthouses. All of the studios except the ground floor have balconies and are really quite nice. Te property is in a good location for getting about.

I think with a grand in your pocket you will have enough easily. I won't be spending that much in a month!

There are plenty of nice places to eat very close. Luzzu is a very modern, bright, clean place with lovely food. I can't think of the name of the place directly opposite Luzzu but nice plentiful portions.

My favourite restaurant in that area is "The Overflow" not cheap but by no stretch of the imagination expensive. The specials, that you need to order the day before, are excellent and we've never finished one. (those that know me know I can put food away!) Baked beef is probably my favourite. For day to day visits the steaks are very nice (lovely reef steak with seafood sauce!)

Petrol is quite comparable to the UK. Not quite as dear but not cheap. Most garages you are still served fuel. Evenings and weekends there are some of the most temperamental machines I've ever happened across. I'm not sure what's happened now the Euro is there (maybe they've all been renewed!) but if you are unsure either make sure you have enough fuel for Saturday afternoon and Sunday or get a local to help you out. I've seen dozens of tourists use notes and press the wrong buttons so they are at the wrong pump etc. The only way to get your money back is to take the receipt back the following day. From experience I know that the 2 garages at the edge of St Pauls by the roundabout are very reluctant to give refunds.

It's just better safe than sorry and always saves a return journey. Pay pumps are easy to use providing you are used to it. Locals are always helpful because they know of the potential pitfalls so don't get hung up on it just be aware.

Another thing where I see tourists incurring charges is in parking fines. Particularly in Qawra/Bugibba where you are staying. DO NOT PARK WITHIN 5 METRES OF A CORNER. Traffic wardens are out VERY early and probably get most of their work done by 8am

I hope you'll love it there.

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Enough spending money ??

Thanks all you guys for the good advice .

Cant wait to get there now .

herts
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Enough spending money ??

hi rengershum,

I think you have a reasonable ammount to spend in malta. I used to live in malta and i am now living in the uk. I can reassure you that at least you will not be ripped off like you are in restaurants in the uk and this is said through my personal experience. which regards to the previous posts its a shame that some tourists apparently cannot read and recognize numbers as these are quite visibile on the pumps and if you can operate a cash machine or a kiosk machine inside banks I am sure you can operate a petrol machine in Malta. on the other hand it is obvious that you have to observe the law same as here in the UK wardens are constantly patrolling ready to fine you so I don't think anybody should look amazed if this happens in another country let alone a small Island like Malta which is invaded by tourists all year round because of its beauty. Rest your mind that Maltese people are friendly and warm people and will make you feel most welcome.

7. Re: Enough spending money ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 12:20
Get answers to your questions about Qawra
Recent Conversations