We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenixville, PA
3 posts
Save Topic
Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

We're heading down next week to see our daughter who lives at a girls' home in Mississippi and then heading over to the Atlanta area for the remainder of our vacation. We are considering a vacation rental at either Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair. I have a 7-year-old boy who wants to go fishing and an 18-year-old boy who wants to do water sports.

We'll be getting into the Atlanta area either 8/15 or 8/16 and leaving 8/21. We'll be spending one day in the Hampton area to check out a church, visit with friends, and generally just check the area out to see how we like it.

The bulk of our time will just be hanging out and relaxing as a family. We might do a day trip to Great Adventure or Stone Mountain. Anything else we do would be dependent upon what's available in the area.

Any advantages to one lake over the other? We realize Lake Jackson is closer to Hampton, but we're looking at the overall benefits.

Thanks, Sheryl

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,921 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

We have family who love to fish and they go to Lake Sinclair. We've not been to either lake recently. We were just at Lake Wedowee and Lake Martin in Alabama. Hopefully someone who uses these lakes will post info for you.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

I believe Lake Sinclair is larger of the two so you may have more options there. However, it takes a bit longer to get to from Interstate.

Both lakes have lots of places on coves that are back in less than easy places to find sometimes.

We went to some friends on Lake Sinclair a few weeks ago and it was really pretty nice. But the bottom section we went to felt like it was in the boonies but had many houses along the banks.

On both lakes you will probably need boats to get around and enjoy. Unfortunately I don't know places to do things on either of the two lakes, so cannot help there.

Try posting on Milledgeville and Jackson forums too, you might get something there.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

Hey, one other comment.

Have you considered the lakes in North GA like Blue Ridge or Chatuge or even Hartwell. To me those are a bit prettier and you have other stuff to do in the area.

The N GA lakes would be as quick to get to as Sinclair for sure. I live not too far from Jackson Lake and really don't think of it as a vacation destination.

Of course, if you are looking to rent a place, stay there, cook yourself and play in coves nearby Jackson or Sinclair would work.

I'll be interested to see if you get any replies about stuff to do on the lakes like eating out, waterpark type stuff.

N. GA
Level Contributor
475 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

I grew up in Milledgeville and would pick a lake in North GA over Lake Sinclair for sure! The Lake Burton area seems nice. Maybe others can comment on it as I have only heard about it.

Phoenixville, PA
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

Our concern with the northern lakes was having to deal with Atlanta traffic.

How did you enjoy Lake Wedowee and Lake Martin?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,921 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

Lake Martin which is near Opelika, Alabama was very nice. We went over 4th of July weekend. It has boating, fishing, water sports and several state parks.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,921 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

Other suggestions in North Georgia would be Lake Rabun, Lake Burton and Lake Chatuge.

Barnesville, Georgia
Level Contributor
819 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

Atlanta traffic is not too bad except rush hours (630am to 930am ish) and (3pm to 630pm ish).

If you are coming from Mississippi you will either come I-20 or be coming along gulf coast and heading north along I-75 or up I believe US441 through Opelika. In that case the lakes down along Chattahoochee might be good choice.

If you are coming I-20 you will be nearing ATL, at least to I-285, so could get time arrival to deal with traffic.

Newnan, Georgia
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

Neither of the lakes are too commercial. Lake Jackson has a couple of Marina's in the area thinking you can fish, but no water sporting activities unless you have your own boat.

The Lake Sinclair/ Lake Oconee area has a website: www.oconee.org. This area is really developing and I don't know as much about the area any more....

Both locations will provide a relaxing setting.

Stone Mountain is a GREAT place to visit and close to the Hampton area. See www.stonemountainpark.com They have a lot to do all day and a great laser show in the evening.

Enjoy your trip to Georgia. If you travel I-85 from Mississippi to Atlanta be sure to stop by our Visitors Center in Coweta County! We are at I-85 and Exit 47 - 1.5 miles from the Interstate.

Hope this was helpful!!!

10. Re: Lake Jackson or Lake Sinclair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2010, 01:17