We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

Which Atlanta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

We are coming into town in October for Bands of America contest in Georgia Dome. We will be spending much time at the Georgia Dome, going back and forth from hotel to Dome. I am looking at 4 hotels: The Glenn, which is the closest to Dome; The Fairfield Inn & Suites, which is walking distance but also has Marta across the street so we could take it as well; The Holiday Inn Express, which is cheaper but a further walk; or The Hilton Garden, which is between the dome and the aquarium.. I lean to the Glenn but is is the most expensive of those. The Marta station at the Fairfield Inn is appealing too. Need some advice from someone who is familiar with the area. Thanks.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,362 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

If you are going to be at the Dome a lot, stay at the Omni hotel, the Embassy Suites or the Hilton Garden Inn nearby. You will be very close to the Dome and it's an easy walk back and forth.

If you are going to stay further away, stay in a Midtown hotel and take MARTA.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
4,903 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

The Hilton is a nice walk across Centennial Park and is actually a couple of blocks from the Peachtree Center MARTA station or the Phillips/Georgia Dome station . The walk is probably about the same as the Glenn or the Fairfield, maybe closer. The MARTA stop for the Fairfield is a block away. For MARTA info, look at www.itsmarta.com .

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
10,975 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

The Glenn or Omni would be closest but any of those. Mentioned above would be convenient. Taking MARTA to the game from anywhere in downtown is more trouble than it's worth. Trains are infrequent and often don't run on schedule, so you could find that a trip from Peachtree Center to the Georgia Dome takes 30+ minutes, but that you could walk it in 10.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,362 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

JAtlanta, what game?

Would your advice be any different for a non-game event at the Dome?

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

thank you for all the information. It definitely helps! We decided to use the Hilton Garden Inn - Downtown. Our kids will be staying at a hotel near the aquarium so this puts us between both places for us: dome and aquarium!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
2,982 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

the best spot woid be omni--i just looked on Orbitz and they are the cheapest at 117/nt. You might consider Embassy suites as well--theyre right across the street from Omni

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,362 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

The Hilton Garden Inn is a GREAT choice. It's the newest of the hotels closest to the Dome and its location can't be beat. Enjoy the event!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

No matter what, stay in a hotel close to the Dome (walking distance). Marta gets expensive going back and forth, and the area next to Centennial Park is fun and pleasant (CNN, Sundial, the Aquarium, the park)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
10,975 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

game = band competition. That does not change my advice. Whenever there's an event that draws a large crowd in downtown, there will be lots of people out and about on the streets, unlike other times when downtown is pretty dead at night. I think staying in downtown is more convenient than going back and forth on MARTA. Use the usual precautions of course - don't walk alone, avoid unlit areas, stick to main streets.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 10:40
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
10,362 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay near Georgia Dome or take Marta

I'm down there for conferences a lot. Sometimes I drive in (back and forth). Most of the time I stay at the Omni. If I were traveling for leisure I would prefer to stay at the Embassy Suites or Hilton Garden Inn. Those are a lot more convenient IMO than walking back and forth from the other downtown hotels on or near Peachtree St. That's my personal preference.

My thoughts re a band competition is that if you are at the event for just short periods of time and have larger blocks of time NOT at the Dome, I'd rather hang out in Midtown than Downtown.

In any case, they have decided to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn which is a VERY good choice.