We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

black flies ?

ontario
Level Contributor
75 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
black flies ?

Just wondering if black flies are a problem in the Point Farms/Port Albert area.

8 replies to this topic
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: black flies ?

You may want to specify WHEN? At the moment I am betting the answer is no.....but at the moment it's 7 below.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,203 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: black flies ?

I note you've asked this same question in the Orillia forum, and specified a few other locations in Ontario as well. In general, black flies are present almost everywhere in areas that are not highly urbanized, and are prone to heavy forestation and wetland. Most cottage country areas will have them, in varying degrees of annoyance, during the late spring-early summer (mid-May - mid-June) period, especially if it has been a wet spring. So the short answer is that you're never going to completely escape them no matter where you go.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: black flies ?

I responded to your querry about blackflies in Orillia. You will encounter flies of all sorts to a varying degree anywhere in cottage country Ontario in spring or summer.....period!

Edited: 13 January 2017, 18:30
Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
330 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: black flies ?

I responded to your querry about blackflies in Orillia. You will encounter flies of all sorts to a varying degree

anywhere in cottage country Ontario in spring or summer.....period!

Edited: 13 January 2017, 18:29
gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: black flies ?

Actually it seems that black flies tend to be found more in the Canadian Shield region where you have granite rocks and not areas with limestone. I spend a lot of time fishing in the Peterborough area and never had problems with blackflies. until you get north of Buckhorn.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,203 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: black flies ?

While there is indeed some truth to that gxp, here on the shores of Lake Ontario, directly south of Peterborough, we do get black flies in the spring. Not to the same intensity as in northern cottage country. However farmers outside of town here will attest that black flies are an issue for their animals at that time of year. My experience, having lived in Toronto, cottaged for years in Muskoka, and now living in a semi-rural area on the shore of Lake Ontario is that the only place of those three we did not have to deal with black flies was in the city.

Having said that, it's only for a few weeks ... not a deciding factor in where to live.

Clinton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: black flies ?

We lived in Orillia for 8 years on the lake and never had a black fly

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: black flies ?

123Becky.

Welcome to Tripadvisor. One if the things you need to be mindful of is the date of the original post and the last response. This thread was 18 months and has now be resurrected. Tripadvisor will send a notification to the original poster (OP) to let them know someone had responded. It’s not likely relevant to them now.

Reply to: black flies ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Goderich
Recent Conversations
More Goderich Topics