We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

Seattle, Washington
14 posts
Save Topic
1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

We will be traveling from Viñales to La Boca (just outside of Trinidad). We are spending 3 days in Viñales prior to 5 days in La Boca. But, after reading about Cienfuegos, we'd like to make a stop there. Question is, should we spend one or two days there?

11 replies to this topic
saskatoon
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

As far as just the city , I think one day would be all I would want . It is the newest of all Cuban cities and is designed on a north/south, east/ west grid. I would explore the city's town square and visit Teatro Tomas . A carriage ride down del Prado to Punta Gorda would be nice, Be sure and stop at Palacio del Valle on the way.

Seattle, Washington
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

Thanks for the feedback! Would you recommend anything just outside of the city? Or favorite thing to do besides the city?

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,994 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

I have never been to Cienfuegos, but my general view is that one day does not allow you to get to know anywhere and longer is better.

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
24 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

We spent 4 nights in Cienfuegos. The city is very pretty and easy to walk around. It was nice to see all the local kids socializing along the Prada at night (the place to be if you are a kid & adults were there too). We enjoyed drinks at Palacio de Valle and nearby Club Cienfuegos. If you want to leave the city, we did the morning row on Guanaroca lagoon to see the pink flamingos (20 mins outside Cienfuegos). You go in a small wooden row boat and a rower takes you out on the lagoon to see the wildlife. We also went to El Nicho waterfalls on one of the days- a farther drive (an hour +-) but a nice excursion out of the city. Pretty waterfalls and a nice, easy hike on jungle trails in the mountains. Both can be half days then return to Cienfuegos- lots of good paladares in Cienfuegos.

Seattle, Washington
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

Thanks for your opinion, in which I'd tend to agree with you. But since we found we had a couple of extra days to play with on our vacation we thought we'd stop for a short visit. Plus we are spending so much time in Viñales & La Boca. I'm looking for ispecific things to do in Cienfuegos. I'd love to hear any of you thoughts on the area. Thanks.

Edited: 05 August 2017, 18:45
Seattle, Washington
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

Thanks, @smgapp for the ideas! This is just what we were looking for!! Your trip sounded wonderful.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

If you go to Cienfuegos look for the yellow taxi that is two Ladas welded together to make a second back seat and go for a ride out to Rancho Luna beach for an afternoon...priceless lol

Kitchener, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,477 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

I'll pass this on again ! If you just want to see the major sites of Cienfuegos , a day would cover it... Early evening and night time is when you mingle with the Cuban people.. as they enjoy the Prado and malecon ... But the next day you could go out too the Rancho luna beach ... and snorkel behind the Faro Luna hotel . Ask a local where a good place to do it would be... Or if you want to visit a small town, with very little tourist action ... take the ferry ( 1 CUC ) over to Jagua ... They have a Fort Museum there that protected the bay .. and walk the town . Except for the fort , you might not see another tourist . The ferry dock is located on Aveida 46 and Calle 25 ... If I remember correctly the ferry runs every 2 hours starting at 9 AM... and the last out of Jagua... but check it out.. one thing I noticed , they are pretty much on time...

Seattle, Washington
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

Lol! Thanks, @AlexF. I'm always up for an adventure & this sounds like one!

Seattle, Washington
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?

@Justliving, this sounds delightful!! Writing this all down!! Thank you!

Reply to: 1 or 2 days in Cienfuegos?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted