We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

illulissat on october

Roma, Italia
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
illulissat on october

hi i d like to go to illulissat the next october.i d like to known something about this period in illulissat.i m afraid in that time i can go on cruise or to see the iceberg.do you kniwn when are the air plain to go from reykjavik to illulisat?thanks a lot.leonors

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
1. Re: illulissat on october

There are no direct flights from Rekjavik to Ilulisaat at any time. Once in Greenland you have to get an internal flight to Illulisaat.

I think you may have a problem trying to get from Iceland to the west coast of Greenland in October. There are only flights from Reykjavik to Narsarsuaq during the summer months. This means you will need to fly to Kulusuk on the east coast and then get an internal flight from there, probably via Kangerlussuaq.

Air Greenland run a service throughout the year from Copenhagen . There are 4 flights a week into Kangerlussuaq which is the nearest airstrip to Illulisaat. You then have to get an internal flight from here.

By October the sea will be freezing over so iceberg trips are off. You need to visit during the brief summer months of July - September for these. You may be able to go dog sleding instead...

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: illulissat on october

Some of the information you have been given is wrong.

Air Iceland operate from Reykjavik to Nuuk on Greenland's west coast. Services are available from Nuuk to Ilulissat, but in October you may need to spend a night in Nuuk.

Roma, Italia
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: illulissat on october

Hi,

thanks for the information.

On the air iceland web site there are a lot of flight from reykiavik to illulissat. i think it's a new fly road. don't you konow?

I m very worry about the impossible to do a cruise to iceberg.

When you went there?

thanks a lot

leo

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,903 posts
4. Re: illulissat on october

I think Reykjavik to Ilulissat is new this year. It used to be just Copenhagen - Kangerlussuaq - ilulissat. That might still be easier from Rome though.

The sea won't be frozen in October (in 2010 it wasn't even frozen in March, but it was in March 2009), so the icefjord cruise will be fine as long as the weather is OK. Try Silver (he's Italian, by the way) at Tourist Nature:

http://www.ilulissattn.com

He's always been good when I've used him

It might be too early to go dog sledding at that time if that's something you're interested in. November or February to April is better for that (there's not much light in December and January).

5. Re: illulissat on october

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 15:15