We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter driving for my daughter

Which Albuquerque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Winter driving for my daughter

My daughter is doing a three month surgical residency in Albuquerque 12/17/11 to 3/11/12. She will be driving in middle of night to Univ. Hosp and to VA hospital. She will rent or lease a car for three months. Should she get all-wheel drive? Are snow tires on rear wheel or front wheel drive sufficient. I understand two foot snowfalls are not uncommon. What other precautions are recommended. PLEASE ADVISE. Richard from Boston.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,694 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter driving for my daughter

Two foot snowfalls IN Albuquerque are unheard of...TWD with all weather radials should serve...Time dad, to allow this adult to cope...

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter driving for my daughter

In ABQ, along the likely routes, probably only 2-4 snowfalls during winter, maybe an inch each. In any case, nothing ever approaching a foot. Ice can be an issue on the morning following a winter storm. Schools, government offices, etc. will close or delay the morning following a winter storm, usually because of the icy roads. City pretty good at clearing roads quickly and sun usually melts and evaporates snow and ice pretty quickly. Freezing temps at night can cause day melt to re-freeze. Forecasters easily see approaching winter storms and usually overestimate likely conditions. AWD is very popular here but not absolutely necessary in the city. Lots of 4WD, too, but really only useful in the rarest of occasions, such as off road or mountain recreation destinations. Generally speaking, no one has snow tires in the city. We have AWD for family vehicle and appreciate it. My 2WD can be scary sliding through stop signs on 2 or 3 mornings. It is popularly believed that local drivers are not experienced winter drivers. AWD does make a difference.

Edited: 08 December 2011, 09:49
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter driving for my daughter

A bit more. City crews are pretty good at clearing major arteries in the city on morning of winter storm. Night driving during winter storm is usually not so treacherous. I think this is because there is less traffic, obviously, and also I think it's because our snow is pretty dry. Early spring snowstorms & blizzards are possible and can dump a lot, but I can't think of a time when we got much more than 3". A foot is about as much as we may get the entire winter. And with sunny skies, the snow doesn't usually last through the following day...unless we are having a string of freezing temps, like last year. You may have been seeing reports of surrounding mountain areas or northern NM.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter driving for my daughter

Raglaw, glad to see your daughter has a dad who helps her out. Being a resident is tough and when they are doing surgery it's important she is able to focus and not be stressed about driving. Hope she has a successful residency and becomes a top notch surgeon.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter driving for my daughter

Snow in ABQ is much different from snow on East Coast, and usually easier. It is more powdery than slushy. Also, snow is more an issue in nothern NM where ABQ is more "central" NM, and a good 1000 feet lower than, say Santa Fe.

There may be snow in the mountains, but it is not much of a problem on the streets. I agree with above posts that it is not esp. treacherous. Yes, ice could be a problem but not a frequent experience. The problem is that snow/ice might be a problem for a few days, you can't rule it out, but it is not a constant issue throughout the winter.

One idea might be to call NM AAA and get their advice on this question, esp. in ABQ area.

itsatrip.org/newmexico/…default.aspx

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
160 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter driving for my daughter

The roads near the University and Kirtland Airforce Base (close to the VA Hospital) are always kept very clear, even in icy weather, so I think your daughter won't have any problems with road conditions. The VA Hospital area is a bit sketchy, so it's important to be careful when in that area, especially at night.

7. Re: Winter driving for my daughter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2012, 05:19