We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elk rutting season - how long ?

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
475 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Elk rutting season - how long ?

how long does the Elk rutting season last up in RMNP? I was thinking of possibly looking at a long weekend at the end of october or very early november ... will trail ridge road be closed by then? also, will all the aspen color have gone by then? but my main question was for the elk rutting season - would it still be going on?

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,488 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elk rutting season - how long ?

I'm not an elk expert, but from what I've read the rut season is September- October. Does that mean until the very end of October? Don't know for sure. We usually go mid-October and see plenty of action. You might read this link: http://www.estes-park.com/go/elkbugling.html

Or call the Park and ask them: 970-586-1206

The leaves will be gone by the end of October.

Trail Ridge road may or may not be open - it depends on the weather. You can call the info line to find out: 970-586-1333.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
50 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elk rutting season - how long ?

When we were there a couple weeks ago, we went to the "elk talk" program on Friday evening in the park that was led by a ranger-in-training. He said the rut lasts until the end of October. After that they start preparing for winter since it comes early.

Trail Ridge Road was closed one day we were there due to snow (and this was on Sept. 16th). The ranger-in-training said that even if they just get an inch up at the top by the visitor's center, they have to close the road because of blowing/drifting.

Hope you have a terrific trip. We will be in Dallas the week of Oct. 15th for a school my husband is attending. Maybe you could fill me in on any events happening during that time.

Cardinalfan

Woodland Park...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elk rutting season - how long ?

The rut seems to reach it's height in early to mid-October. After that point there is still action, but most of the cows are "spoken for" and have been bred, thus ending the rut.

dallas, texas
Level Contributor
475 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elk rutting season - how long ?

Cardinalfan -

go to www.bigtex.com and check out our State Fair of Texas. You're in luck bc it will still be going on at that time. It's not a small, country fair - this thing is HUGE and has a ton of things to see and do!

Hope you have a wonderful trip to Dallas!

5. Re: Elk rutting season - how long ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 07:20