We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
35 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

I'm coming to Estes for the first time in June and I've narrowed my hotel choice to these 5, all of which sound pretty good..

Murphy River Lodge

Silver Moon Inn

Comfort Inn Estes

Discovery Lodge

Rocky mountain park inn

I'm looking for something clean, comfortable, and relaxing. Ideally with updated decor. On the river or close to downtown are bonuses. All are in the ballpark on cost for me.

Anyone have personal experience with these that can help me narrow my choices?

Illinois
Level Contributor
60 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

I have stayed at the Silver Moon Inn and the Comfort Inn and would say they are pretty comparable (think 20 years old but clean). The main difference is their location, the Comfort Inn is not within walking distance of anything except other hotels and the Silver Moon Inn is right downtown. Drove through Murphy River Lodge this last time and was not real impressed. Not familiar with the other two.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

TwinDad, hopefully you have taken a moment to read the many reviews by TripAdvisor travelers who have posted their reviews here on TA about their stays at all of the places you listed. On the left hand column there is a bar for Estes Park Hotels. You can use that or you can just go up to the search bar at the top of this page and put in the name of the hotel & city and TA will take you to the reviews. Quick and easy. When looking at the reviews you can choose ones written by solo travelers or families or business travelers. I find it really a helpful filter.

Hope that speeds up the process and gets you the results you want. When you find the one, imho I would book soon since it seems that Estes Park hotels fill up quickly.

Happy travels.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
35 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

Yes, I'm aware of the posted reviews. That's how I got to the narrowed down list I have. However, I'm looking for people that have stayed at some of these locations to give me some additional insight, especially people who have stayed at multiples on my list to compare them directly. Buck2904's comment above is quite helpful.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,344 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

Since you have not gotten many replies, I will give you what I hope is helpful information. No, I have not stayed in any of these properties. I now prefer a condo. I live about an hour from Estes Park and am there very often, three days last week. When you look at reviews, discount those for stays from November through April. This is off season and the hotel was probably at most 1/3 full unless it was a holiday weekend. That means folks had the best rooms at greatly discounted rates and it was quiet. People in Colorado absolutely LOVE their dogs! Discovery Lodge and Rocky Mountain Park Inn are dog friendly. I do not believe the others are. Check the websites.

About location, Silver Moon Inn and Murphy's are the most convenient to downtown Estes. Discovery Lodge is actually no further from downtown than Silver Moon or Murphy's, but it is uphill and you cross the intersection of highway 34 and 36. Comfort Inn, as previously posted, is a little farther away. Rocky Mountain Park Inn is also actually at about the same distance as SMI and Murphy's, but it is even more uphill and around the corner from downtown.

Discount the river at Murphy's and to some extent at Silver Moon Inn. Frankly, unless it is during high water, the river behind (more to the side) of Murphy's is not much to look at. Not many of the rooms have a river setting. Sadly, there is an uncompleted and repossessed property of lovely condominiums behind most of Murphy's. The area is not trashy or really an eyesore, just abandoned for at least the last three years.

One final note--for people who do not live in Colorado or have never experienced real mountains, they are awed (or oxygen deprived) and the whole John Denver Rocky Mountain High thing kicks in. I think they could stay in a shack with an outhouse and not even notice. I am not being critical of lodging in Estes Park. Just saying, do not stress too much over your decision.

Edited: 23 February 2012, 18:55
Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,491 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

Well said fv1989. I think our poster will find they will spend very little time in the room, the outdoors is so much better imho. I get out early and come back only to eat and sleep.

Even when you think you have found the best place in the world the room next door may be occupied by a dog who whines, an alarm clock in an empty room going off in the wee hrs of the morning, or the upstairs by kids who jump on the bed (all experiences I have unfortunately had to endure for hours). It is all a gamble, which is part of the great adventure and makes for great stories when you remember the trip in years to come.

Edited: 23 February 2012, 21:09
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,307 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

TwinDad, you've posted several reviews yourself, so I'm sure you know this...but just in case...you can also send private messages to any of the reviewers if you'd like more details about their stay.

florida
Level Contributor
458 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

Never stayed in any of them....however, I had relatives stay in the Holiday Inn, now Rocky Mtn Park Inn. I seem to recall there being an older section in a second building, and one a bit newer, and that may be a thing to consider (or might be for me). Other factors might be what kind of group are you traveling with, kids, friends, etc? Would a kitchen make life easier with kids? Would a place with a restaurant or bar be convenient if you're with friends? Although some on the list might be on the edge of "town", between the shuttle or a 12 second drive, I don't think it matters. All appear to be nice places on the outside. We live across from Comfort Inn, and I think they closed for winter...maybe they use that time to update, maintenance, etc?

In any event, in my opinion, if you take a look at other criteria which might impact your decision, that will help you make a selection which works best or you. Enjoy.

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

If you stay at the Rocky Mountain Park Inn (RMPI), for the love of all things good & decent, do not eat at the restaurant. Every once in a while I forget how bad it is and end up there . . . like this past weekend after the model train show. The buffet dinners at special events (weddings, Christmas parties, etc) are ok but the regular restaurant is horrible.

My friend enjoyed her stayat the Silver Moon Inn this past summer - all the rooms at my house & cabin were 'booked' by family when she chose to visit.

I've had clients who stayed at Comfort Inn and RMPI. From the feedback, I would choose Comfort Inn. Folks liked RMPI well enough but some had issues with noise.

Had one client who stayed at the Murphy's before it changed hands/renamed/remodeled. It seems to have changed for the better so I do not think my/their experience from that time would apply.

If I had to narrow down the list, I would probably go with either Silver Moon Inn or Comfort Inn. But honestly, I think any of them will be fine. Just don't eat at RMPI!

Estes Park, CO
Level Contributor
93 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

I want to echo the advice by P2M from Florida. You can send personal messages to posters and TA will forward them. Include your email address in the message and the posters can then choose whether or not to respond to your message. I have found it a great way to get more information about a particular establishment. Ask for more information from people who thought it was great and people who did not. You may even find someone locally you can meet with.

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
10 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for first hand opinions on these hotels

I stayed at Murphy's River Lodge last June with my husband, son & nephew. We loved it there. The river runs behind the property. Bruce & Loretta (the management) are so friendly. I suggest calling them directly if you decide to reserve with them as opposed to booking through any website. We were close enough to walk into town for dinners & shopping. There is an abandoned development behind the property that essentially shares the river view, but as another poster said, it's not an eyesore. I also left a review about Murphy's on TA. Gotta go back a ways though to find it.

I have no info on the other properties. Good luck!

P.S. ~ I just realized you posted this a few weeks back, but I'm going to go ahead & leave my two cents anyway.

Get answers to your questions about Estes Park