We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes for December trip

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Shoes for December trip

Family will be going to AZ and NM mid Dec thru NY. I know this is varied by the year but with the temps I have seen on average for Dec and wondering if a lighter snow boot is better than sneakers at this time of the year. They are not heavy snow boots but if there is snow and it is cold, my kids may get cold. Is this thinking to warm or would it be a good chooice given the potential for snow?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
9,008 posts
86 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Shoes for December trip

Warm & traction soles are good to have... heavier socks & head gear as well. For New Mexico, don't forget the sun screen ... Happy tails

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
223 reviews
142 helpful votes
2. Re: Shoes for December trip

CC is right, but at the same time, don't leave the sneakers at home. I wear running shoes (actually cross trainers, but you get the idea) year-round, and there are no more than half a dozen days a year when I leave them home in favor of warmer footwear. As CC says, a pair of heavier socks, combined with whatever active footwear you normally wear that has adequate traction, will deal with weather that "stings the nose and bites the toes," as long as you aren't heading out into the wilds for an adventure. (If you are, however, let's continue the conversation.)

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
15,159 posts
3,457 reviews
4,955 helpful votes
3. Re: Shoes for December trip

We recommend waterproof lightweight hiking shoes.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,417 posts
871 reviews
1,496 helpful votes
4. Re: Shoes for December trip

We always carry a hiker/runner sneaker and some winter boots with really good tread. Good tread is key. Hubby keeps some Yak-trax for in the mornings when there can be a skin of ice on or under the snow on our way out to where we park our car...those work with the runners or other shoes. I guess you know never to use yak-tracx if you are going to be walking on slick tile afterwards. I don't know how long you are staying in December but if its for several days, the weather is likely to be variable.

Dress in layers because outdoors can be very cold at times but indoors when you go into restaurants, shops, museums etc. you can become hot quickly. Add in gloves, lip balm and eye drops.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Shoes for December trip

Awesome advice! Thanks everyone

6. Re: Shoes for December trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2018, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Santa Fe