We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Hiking -Packing Question

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
616 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Hiking -Packing Question

Can anyone give us advice as to whether we need to pack both fleeces and windbreakers or will Northface windbreakers ( also waterproof ) be enough? ( September 4-17). We researched the temperatures but wonder what you native hikers take with you?

Thanks!

ZB

Taos Ski Valley...
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Hiking -Packing Question

A waterproof layer is a must. If you get cool easy, then bring a fleece layer. 2 layers should be enough as long as one is a waterproof layer. Thunderstorms can build fast and hail can happen in the mountains this time of year. It is definitely a beautiful time of year to hike New Mexico and enjoy the scenery.

Paul

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Hiking -Packing Question

Paul,

Thanks so much for the fast comeback. We also have very lightweight rainsuits, and also rainpants. Do you think we should also pack one or the other...what do you take along?

Thanks!

ZB

Taos Ski Valley...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Hiking -Packing Question

ZB,

You might want to bring just the rain pants and watch the weather. I usually just wear shorts and bring a warm waterproof jacket, but I don't get cold very easy. My wife gets cold easy and likes to bring a fleece and a waterproof shell, but usually hikes in just shorts. For some reason, our legs don't really get wet, but we do hike in waterproof hiking shoes or boots. We find the key is to bring layers and don't hesitate to shed or add as you get warm and cold.

Hope this helps!

Paul

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,976 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Hiking -Packing Question

Today was over 80 degrees, I got a bit chilly tonight sitting outside in shorts and a t-shirt and had to put on a sweatshirt. I have lived here for a long time, don't own a rainsuit, but I don't hike the high country too much! If you are venturing into the high mountains for overnight or long hike, then bring wind/rain jacket and lightweight polar fleece. Hike in the mornings before storms move in. Have a great time.

Check this link for the forecast www.wunderground.com/US/NM/Santa_Fe.html

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
616 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Hiking -Packing Question

Thanks Casa and Paul. We are most concerned about temperature at altitude so we will pack along the fleeces and hope we don't go over our weight limit. Ready for rain. Ready for sleet or hail. Hate hail. Hope no snow. No problems. Flying soon. See ya....

ZB

6. Re: Last Minute Hiking -Packing Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 15:16