We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Location

Which Santa Fe hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Shadow Hills, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Topic
Question about Location

Thinking about doing a home swap with someone and the address is 936 Alto Street. Is this a good area? Is it close to the Plaza? I looked on google maps, and it looked kind of desolate. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Location

It is a "fair" area. It is near the Santa Fe "River" (mostly dry) and about a 10-15 min walk to Plaza. It is a residential area. It is probably not a luxurious house, but it might be satisfactory. It is a relatively older section, and quiet. It is not really "desolate", it is just not in the main tourist area (you won't find lots of house swaps in that area).

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Location

I just pulled up the real estate listing for the property and it looks like they did a nice remodel. We have a friend that lives close to that street, it's an ok neighborhood, residential as NYNM said and a big mix of people.

Shadow Hills, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Location

As far as being a "home Base" for us to crash at ...would we be close enough by car to all the main attractions? We have never been to Santa Fe before. We will be coming with our 2 children the 1st week in April. We are looking to save money doing a home swap. I have posted numerous requests on Home Exchange.com, and have gotten little to no response. Very discouraging, even though many people on that website have very beautiful homes. I met this person on Craig'slist.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Location

I just went to Google Maps Earth view, and if you did so you can see that this is not a "beautiful house." This is a simple area of SF, not the neighborhood where you will find those "beautiful houses."

I think it will be a tossup for you. If you can't get anyone else to respond, this house may be adequate but very simple, utilitarian. If you're looking for a special experience I'd say to skip it. If you just want a place to crash, it would work. Of course it also depends what your side has to offer in a "swap."

You might consider other ideas, such as short term home rentals or low cost motels on Cerrillos Road.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Location

Here's the realtor's listing with interior photos: santafeproperties.com/homes/201003421-936_Al…

As a place to crash, it's not bad. I would suggest that you use Google Street View to look around the neighborhood to be sure it is a place you are comfortable staying. Since it is listed for sale I would make sure it won't be shown or worse sold when you are there. You can easily drive to the plaza and other Santa fe attractions.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,452 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Location

That area can be good or bad. Close to a large park/sports fields, K-8 school, senior center, playground etc. You can easily walk to Agua Fria to catch the #1 bus. Probably an ok walk if you cross St Francis at a light. Driving easy as well.

I used to work nearby and never really heard of any problems. Along the river can be homeless encampments or teens doing things teens do!

I will be in the area tomorrow for some shopping, I'll drive by and check out the neighbors.

Shadow Hills, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Location

Thanks. I am completely on the fence. If this doesn't work out...does anyone have some nice suggestions for hotel that will give us a great Santa Fe experience? We are open to Bed and Breakfasts as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Location

You could still consider a short term vacation rental which is often better than a hotel, esp if you want to feel at home.

I have used:

http://santaferentals.com/

I like them because they have a good selection and they are on duty in case of emergencies.

and of course VRBO

There are many places for lodging in SF. a good resource:

santafe.org/Visiting_Santa_Fe/…index.html

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,452 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Location

What is your budget? There are many casitas and b&b's that could be affordable for you.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
5,675 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about Location

I would recommend contacting the realtor and seeing if the ad you saw on Craigslist was legitimate. There have been times when scammers have posted homes that were listed for sale as rentals on Craigslist without the owner's knowledge. The renters show up and, of course, are out of luck. Check out these links - www.10news.com/news/13962225/detail.html

savannahnow.com/exchange/2011-11-17/craigsli…

Even if the ad is legit, as mentioned, if it is for sale there is a good possibility it could be sold or the realtor could expect to show the home during the time you are there. imho, I wouldn't go for this one.