We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accomodation 14nights

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
accomodation 14nights

hi guys starting my research for a 2013 trip doing as much of route 66 as possible for 14nights. looking for somewhere to stay, in the first instance. would like comfotable,reasonable priced,friendly. what to hire a harley and ride...

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,859 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accomodation 14nights

Doing day trips from a central base like Flagstaff for two weeks is not the best way to tour the southwest, or what little remains of RT66.

Better to plan to be on the move and staying in different places for a couple of nights each and then moving on. There are plenty of great attractions and places to ride and spend time, beyond the abandoned road.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,898 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accomodation 14nights

@kezibean: see my reply to your post in the Bellemont forum. I agree with RedRox. Rethink your plan. There are a lot of awesome places to ride in Arizona that deserve your time. This is coming from a gal who was afraid of motorcycles her whole life then changed her tune upon hopping on the back of a Suzuki Intruder :)

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,221 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accomodation 14nights

There's not enough R66 to make two weeks worth of activity. There are however lots of places to visit in Northern Arizona where riding would be a blast. It's a vast area, and you would not want to stay in one place. As suggested in your other post, do some more research and plan what to do.

For example, the portion of R66 between Seligman and Kingman and on to Oatman could be a day trip. After that you've seen R66 in AZ except for small segments in towns such as WIlliams, Flagstaff, Winslow and Holbrook.

Some places to go: GCNP, Page and Lake Powell, Sedona. A loop ride from Flagstaff to Strawberry and then to Camp Verde and back to Flagstaff. A ride from Flagstaff to Sedona to Jerome to Prescott.

First thing I would do is find out about renting the motorcycles.

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accomodation 14nights

thankyou everyone - i will take onboard what u all have said and pass on to OH. will no doubt be asking more very soon. thanks again x

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accomodation 14nights

have spoken to OH, now thinking ... fly into flagstaff staymayb overnight poss 2 then move on...then move on...eventually coming back-staying overnight ready for flight home?

just have too plan a route now then lol

thanks guys x

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,221 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accomodation 14nights

Response to this and your other post.

I don't think you have much of an idea of the size and distances involved here. I would reiterate that there's not enough of Route 66 to explore for more than a few days. Yes, it's scenic, and it's much nicer for riding versus the interstate especially on a motorcycle. However you will be on the interstate as well.

But, as I and others have said, there are a lot of other things to see in Northern Arizona. It would be impractical to return back to Flagstaff or some other place after each ride. As I indicated above, there are perhaps several days worth of day trips that can be done from Flagstaff. Perhaps part of the time you need a rental car instead of a motorcycle.

Are you experienced HD riders? If not, then you likely can't rent one. Here are the requirements:

Be 21 years of age or older (some locations are 25, check with the dealer to confirm).

Have a valid heavyweight motorcycle operator's license.

Have a major credit card.

Must possess the skills, knowledge and ability to operate a heavyweight motorcycle.

The cost of rental for a HD is also about $100/day plus taxes.

Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: accomodation 14nights

thanks for the reply bob. we both own Harleys in the UK and yes meet all the other requirements you state. we realise we cant do the whole of route 66. but will do what we can and travel and stay as we go... as we have been advised NOT to stay in flagstaff and use that as a daily base we have now decided as advised to stop off at different locaations and hotels on route many thanks for your advise

Wantage, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: accomodation 14nights

hi,

i take it you watched the billy connolly prog on tv ??

i too thought about doing R66 a couple of yrs ago, but after doing the research and asking people on TA, i decided against it, and just did a big loop thru az, utah and nevada, in a big suv.

there is lots to see, and lots of great roads to ride on !

we brits just dont seem to realise just how big the states are, as bob has said its a vast area, i think its bigger than vast lol !

the bit between seligman an oatman is an awesome drive / ride, make sure you have lunch in lilo`s in seligman !

why are you flying into flag ?

where are you flying into from the uk ? i flew BA into phx, nice an easy

www.eaglerider.com are in phx most of their bikes are $123 per day !

rgds ..

Edited: 23 April 2012, 12:23
Midlands
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: accomodation 14nights

hiya cuban kid - yes yes and not sure yet lol. garnd canyon and monument valley are the two places we have to see and then we are up for advise so really its a case of trying to work out where we can go in the time available and then sorting out flights etc good job we starting it early i reckon - zion national park is also somewhere we thinking of?

Wantage, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: accomodation 14nights

kez,

ha ha thought you did, i just love billy, the one he did in canada was good too !!

that prog almost made me want to hop on a harley an do the same !

as i did, you will get fantastic advice on here...

as the locals will tell you, sort your grand canyon lodgings out first, and then the rest will fall into place, grand canyon books up very fast an a long way off, stay in the park is best., like i said the locals wiil give you the best advice

have a great trip, i certainly did, was only gonna do it once to say i been, but i`m hankering to go back an do it again, i fell in love with sedona thats for sure !!

rgds ..

Get answers to your questions about Flagstaff