We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Boston to Newport??

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Train from Boston to Newport??

Hi

Is it still possible to travel by train from Boston to Newport and back again?

There is some reference to trains in this Forum site but most of the posts are quite old. I have been able to find bus transport on Peter Pan but not trains.

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Train from Boston to Newport??

Not quite into Newport but close enough. You can take the commuter rail, access at South Station use the Providence/Stoughton line and go to Wickford Junction. Be aware stops at Wickford are not frequent so planning is a must. From there take a taxi/uber.

https:/…timetable

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Train from Boston to Newport??

The Northeast Regional Amtrak is also available with a stop in Kingston. Again a taxi/uber is required to get to Newport.

http://www.amtrak.com

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
100 reviews
3. Re: Train from Boston to Newport??

From Boston, here's the choices

-Commuter rail into North Kingstown from South Station (1.5 to 2 hours) and a taxi/uber from there to Newport.The number of daily trips for this train is quite low so you would have to plan accordingly.

- Amtrak from South Station (about 1hr and 10 min) and stopping in Kingston RI and a taxi/uber to Newport or there is seasonal bus service to Newport. In the summer, you could get off Amtrak in Providence and then take the ferry to Newport if your times were OK.

- Peter Pan bus from South Station ( about 1.5hr) directly to the bus station at the visitor center in Newport. This is the easiest way to do it from Boston......I actually did this myself for a work appointment in Boston and found it to be very easy.

- car service from Boston to Newport. I am not sure what this would cost but I would guess at least $150 or more.

- rent a car and make the drive yourself

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Train from Boston to Newport??

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

Level Contributor
490 posts
5. Re: Train from Boston to Newport??

During commuting hours, in this case 4-6 pm, there is a express RIPTA bus that gets you from Providence to Newport in 45 mins and it's only $2.00, an amazing bargain really if the timing works. #14 and #66 I think.

Edited: 26 February 2018, 13:48
Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
100 reviews
6. Re: Train from Boston to Newport??

That's great Justine - is that year round?

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
123 posts
7. Re: Train from Boston to Newport??

Yes it is.

1 post
8. Re: Train from Boston to Newport??

Is the bus running on weekends too?

Level Contributor
490 posts
9. Re: Train from Boston to Newport??

The express bus is just for the am/pm commute. There is always a local bus from Prov to Newport, on weekends the schedule less frequent than weekdays.

Edited: 30 September 2018, 22:03
Reply to: Train from Boston to Newport??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted