We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How wheelchair-friendly is Newport, Rhode Island?

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
33 reviews
How wheelchair-friendly is Newport, Rhode Island?

Our cruise stops in Newport for a few hours, and I am wondering how accessible Newport is to get around in a wheelchair. I'd appreciate some suggestions of places to visit, restaurants etc that welcome wheelchair users. Also, suggestions regarding accessible taxi service would be appreciated. Thanks

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: How wheelchair-friendly is Newport, Rhode Island?

Here's a link to Accessible Rhode Island with a section for Newport Attractions and Restaurants. accessiblerhodeisland.org/othernewport.htm

Hope it helps with some information.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: How wheelchair-friendly is Newport, Rhode Island?

Great! I appreciate your help. Many thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
3. Re: How wheelchair-friendly is Newport, Rhode Island?

We were in Newport this last weekend. Easton's beach has two sand wheelchairs and I was able to get on the beach and in the water for the first time in years. It was wonderful!! Call before you get there to be sure one of the two chairs are available. Be aware that handicap accessibility seems to vary greatly from place to place. I am on a small scooter and found that bathroom facilities in the public parks are small and have few grab bars. This would include Easton's beach and the park facilities on Ocean Drive. It is hard to get a small scooter in these stalls and I would imagine a wheelchair would be even more difficult.

4. Re: How wheelchair-friendly is Newport, Rhode Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 09:19
Get answers to your questions about Newport