We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent Camping

Which Newport hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Deep River...
1 post
Save Topic
Tent Camping

Hi, really wanting to camp on the beach in Newport somewhere in a tent--NOT an RV. Is there any place that that is possible?

Thanks!

Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tent Camping

No...at least not overnight. I've seen some pretty elaborate beach set ups though during the day....

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tent Camping

Your closest bet is Fisherman's Memorial Campground in Narragansett, RI. It backs up to Pt. Judith Pond and is a moderate bike ride away from Salty Brine State Beach and Roger Wheeler State Beach. Not far from Scarborough State Beach. We camped here for many years. Nice campground but possession of alcohol is a BIG offense and will get you booted. No other seaside campground in RI allows tent campers.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tent Camping

I think you can tent camp at Horseneck State Beach in Westport, MA.

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tent Camping

I just reserved a tent spot at a Camprgound in Jamestown(just acress the bridge from Newport) called Fort Getty park campground. You have to make a reservation through the town. Look online they have a website. I cannot say how nice it is but it is very close to Newport.

Jamestown, Rhode...
Level Contributor
938 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tent Camping

Jamestown and that location is gorgeous. Be sure to check out the State Parks near your site: Fort Wetherill and Beavertail. The campground does have a bunch of camper vehicles though, and I've heard the bathroom facilities are in serious need of upgrade. But the places to explore around there make it worth it.

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tent Camping

Thanks for the information Hillside! I booked the site unseen because we wanted to go to Jazz Fest in August. I'll be sure to hit some of the sites you mentioned too!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tent Camping

Ft Getty is VERY nice! Great views and the campground is nicely maintained. Try Slice of Heaven in town for breakfast one day... the breakfast burritos or Gran Marnier French toast are SO good.

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tent Camping

Lauryc .... I'll be sure to have the french toast on my way home on sunday morning! Thanks!

9. Re: Tent Camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 18:19