We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux City, Iowa
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

My best friend and I are going to Oahu in June to celebrate our 50th b-days. We are trying to decide between these 2 hotels. We will be spending a fair amount of time in the pools and on the beach. Do both of these charge for chairs and umbrellas? If so, how much? Also, is there a beach right in front of the Sheraton because it is hard to tell in the pics.

I have stayed several times at the Hyatt and liked it but want something different and a pool that is larger.

Thank you for your help. :)

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

There really isn't any beach in from of the Sharaton, but go to the left and right next door is a wonderful stretch in front of the Royal Hawaiian (sister hotel). The Hilton has a LOT of beach, but it's more off by itself at the western edge of Waikiki (which is a plus for some, a minus for others).

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,402 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

There is no beach at the Sheraton and the beach at the Royal Hawaiian outside the ropes isn't that great.

If the beach is important, between these two I'd take the HHV. Hope you like kids......

On the other hand.... if kids aren't what you want for a best friend getaway, the Sheraton is supposed to have a new adults only pool that is nice.

Personally I am not wild about either one, I'd go to the Outrigger Waikiki.

Edited: 09 November 2010, 23:31
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,862 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

You do have other options - Outrigger Reef, Outrigger Waikiki ... Moana Surfrider ....

HHV - to me - is for family with kids and conventioners. Not in the heart of Waikiki like the Hyatt is.

If you want prices on beach chairs and such, you should contact the hotel directly. Those things change.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

I've been doing some research for a friend and I would choose the Moana or even the Royal Hawaiian over the Sheraton.

Only because from what I've read and researched, you could end up with a room overlooking a wall.

I also prefer this area to the Hilton, as its closer to more shopping and restaurants if you want to venture out.

Shelly Beach...
Level Contributor
269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

Currently at the Sheraton and really enjoying it. We booked on hotwire and the first room they gave us overlooked a roof and did not have a lanai so we just asked to be moved and now have a lovely room with a partial ocean room. It is a very large hotel but we have never had to wait for a pool lounge, computer etc. Just loving it. Cheers, killarney

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,862 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

<<I would choose the Moana or even the Royal Hawaiian over the Sheraton ... Only because from what I've read and researched, you could end up with a room overlooking a wall (at the Sheraton).>>

HUH? The Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian are classic heritage hotels. The Sheraton, although nicely renovated, doesn't hold a candle to the Moana or the RH - especially for these two ladies. That being said, many hotels have rooms that look out on to walls. Even the Moana Tower (great rooms, BTW) has a section that looks directly into the rooms at the Outrigger Waikiki.

Waikiki is pretty dense ... work with your hotel to get the room you want. My point is that the Sheraton doesn't have a higher percentage of bad rooms.

Edited: 10 November 2010, 16:45
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
580 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

The Sheraton is not on the beach.. but n ice rooms and pool.

What is that big pink hotel next to the outrigger waikiki.. that is the one I would choose! It is gorgeous and has nice pools RIGHT on the beach!~ Now........of course I can't afford that.. soooooooooo

Outrigger Waikiki is nice.....pool not big though and hard to get a chair by the pool. Ourtigger Reef on the beach........nice.. easy beach access, nice pool. Rocky beach area though.

The HHV is nice.. a bit of a walk though. It has a great beach area AND nice pools. I would go with that one if those are your two choices.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,862 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

MsAlaska - the Sheraton IS on the beach. Not alot of sand, perhaps, but it is on the beach. The pink hotel is the Royal Hawaiian ... which shares its main pool with the Sheraton.

jly -- we need to hear from you ....

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

There is a lot of misleading information in these posts.

The Hilton HHV is not in the heart of Waikiki but on the very edge of it. It has a nice beach and a huge pool complex filled with screaming, delighted children and their parents. I found the place to be - how shall I put this - a happy zoo. I would not recommend this hotel for your 50th birthday celebrations unless you were traveling with children.

The Sheraton is in the heart of Waikiki, a great location for shopping, dining, people watching and visiting other hotels. They are right on the beach, but the beach directly in front of the hotel is narrow and a little rocky. However, just a few yards away you move on to wide expanses of sand with beautiful waves. Waikiki Beach is very long and very beautiful. If you don't like a particular spot you can find a better one just a short distance away.

The Sheraton shares its pools with the high end and historic Royal Hawaiian. There is a gorgeous infinity pool right in front of the Sheraton. It's really lovely. It can get crowded at peak times, but there's no predicting how crowded it will be at any particular time.

The Sheraton is a busy, bustling, convention type hotel. It does not have an intimate atmosphere, but it is not as family/child oriented as the Hilton HV. If you liked the Hyatt but want a better pool and a spot right on the beach I would recommend the Sheraton over the Hilton HHV.

If you can spring for it, I would suggest the Royal Hawaiian. You can take advantage of the great shared pool system, and the RH has a real sense of place and style and is far more intimate in atmosphere than the Sheraton. The RH also has a roped off section of beach all to itself. It has a very pretty, green courtyard garden as well.

You will be happy at any of the hotels mentioned here, so don't stress too much over your decision.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,171 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton Waikiki vs. Hilton Hawaiian Village

I would not worry about whether there is much beach in front of the hotel. They all have pools.

If there isn't much beach, just move 50 yards either way.

I do have one other consideration.

There is a project scheduled for 2011 to restore the beach in the area of Sheraton Waikiki to that of 1985.

This article says Kuhio Groin to Royal Hawaiian Hotel. The article does not include Sheraton Waikiki, but I do believe it is also included or they have a separate project scheduled.