We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear in honolulu

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
what to wear in honolulu

We are coming for a week to honolulu Jan27'12 for a week. I am trying to decide what to pack to wear. We want to the usual sight seeing. We are going to be staying at the HHVR and plan on using the bus system to get around. Is it cooler there in the evening/ what about when it rains? thx

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to wear in honolulu

Shorts/tshirts for anyone, sundresses for ladies if you like ... Or capris. Most everyone wears slippers (flip flops/thongs). Weather is plenty warm. You will want a light jacket or sweater for the evenings as the weather can be cooler, esp with a breeze. (But not cold, mind you.) Jeans for the plane, and if you are planning to hike or do a lot of walking you might want tennis shoes. Dress is super casual.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to wear in honolulu

Yup: Bring a sweater or windbreaker or hoodie for evening then don't be surprised if you never put it on once. The evenings are usually shorts-warm, but you want to be prepared if it gets a little cooler.

Have super-comfortable walking shoes for your bus/tour days.

Bring at least one "nice" going-out-to-dinner outfit, which for men means a short-sleeved collared button-down shirt (tropical prints are fine) and a pair of khakis. (For men, nice leather sandals are common in even the most upscale restaurants.) For women it can mean a tropical print dress or a skirt and top or slacks and top. Those usually go with sandals, too.(I almost never see high heels in Hawaii.)

The rest of the time, it's all shorts and T-shirts or beach cover-ups with flip-flops or sandals. Have some cute shorts sets for shopping, lunches, etc. Have some super-casual ones for intensive tour days.

Don't forget workout clothes if you plan on exercising!

Considering bringing at least two pairs of underwear for every day you're away from home. That way, you can get up, dress, go to breakfast, come back to hotel and change into bathing suits, go to beach, come back to hotel and shower for dinner and never run out of underwear.

Consider bringing a hat!

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to wear in honolulu

I'll tell you what you'll really need that sweater or light jacket for- the air conditioned restaurants and shops. They can feel mighty chilly after you've been walking around outside!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,479 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to wear in honolulu

The daily average high in January is 81 degrees and the average overnight low, 65 degrees, but the record low is 51, so still not all that cold especially when compared to the -17 January average for Edmonton.

There can be air conditioning in some restaurants so a light wrap for ladies and light jacket for men is helpful.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,467 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: what to wear in honolulu

OK, I'm strange....

But I have worn a long-sleeve T-shirt only once on Oahu in the past three years.

To a UH baseball game in April.

Totally unnecessary.

The only time it is even close to "chilly" is about 5AM.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to wear in honolulu

Maybe it's an age/gender thing, amberloo? We used to laugh at my mom when she'd grab her sweater before we'd head out to dinner, but recently I've been glad to have one in an overly- cooled movie theater or restaurant.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,779 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to wear in honolulu

Aloha,

Some folks' thermostats are lower than others naturally too. I get cold easily, esp. since I've lived here fulltime long enough to really acclimate......I have been wearing jeans plenty lately!

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,765 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to wear in honolulu

Also, be sure to take your sweater on TheBus. Voice of experience--I FROZE every time we took TheBus for the past 3.5 weeks!

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to wear in honolulu

I would like to thank all of you for the suggestions for what to wear on holidays. My suitcase is half packed now. Can you buy shorts there? Here it is -34 celsius so winter no shorts to buy here. Can't wait to come, our first trip!!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to wear in honolulu

suzanj55 - maybe you get some of those pants with zips at the knees to make them shorts if you need?

-34 sounds freezing so i'm sure you will enjoy Hawaii - hope you have a good time