We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Waikiki

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
34 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Waikiki

We're heading to Waikiki on Friday to visit our son who lives near Kuhio & Liliuokalani Ave. He doesn't have a car, so parking is not even a thought for him. We're staying with him from Friday - Monday when we leave for Kauai (where we have a car) Then coming back on Friday and staying at the Outrigger Waikiki where we will have a car and can park it there and explore other areas of the island. We're just trying to figure out if we should rent a car for the first three days as I'm not sure where we can park it.

If we didn't rent, we'd need a cab/transportation from the airport both ways. Plus we'd have to take a bus to the Pro Bowl on Sunday. I'm looking at the bus route maps on line and it's making my head spin. I'm not sure which would be more cost effective and also which would be more of a hassle?

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Waikiki

A lot of people here will tell you to get a car for the convenience. There is cheap parking near you at the Banyan for around $10 per day.

The bus schedules can be confusing; I use Google Transit instead. Just plug in your two points and time of day - make sure to click on the bus icon and it will give you a selection of routes, along with the times and bus id numbers.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
34 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Waikiki

That Google Transit is wonderful. It really shows me that I'm better off with a car, as it will take over an hour by bus to make a 22 minute trip by car to the Pro Bowl, and a 52 minute trip to the airport by bus vs 19 by car. We have a preschooler in tow as well, which could be quite challenging with a long bus ride.

What is The Banyan? Is that just a parking garage? That really is a great rate, as I heard the Outrigger charges around $30 a day to park our car. Maybe there is something close to the hotel as well.

Thanks for your help!

Sask
Level Contributor
700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Waikiki

It's the Aston Waikiki Banyan, a condo/hotel which allows public access to their parking garage. It is cash-only and I think there is a weekly rate, not absolutely sure. If you have a gps, take it with you...it will save you a lot of time when navigating some of the one-way streets in Honolulu.

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Waikiki

I would rent a car precisely because he doesn't have one.

Princeville, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
41,928 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Waikiki

You can also park 24/7 in the zoo parking lot which is a couple of blocks from where your son lives. It's a dollar an hour.

Just FYI, I just saw this on thebus web-site. It may interest you for getting to the Pro Bowl. Non stop service from Kapiolani Park to the stadium.

thebus.org/updates/data/ProBowl_WebsiteBS_20…

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
34 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Waikiki

Thank you for the parking info and The Bus info. I don't know what I'd do without the helpful tips on this forum!!

Thanks again!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Waikiki

Note, the Waikiki Banyan is just over a block away from the corner of Kuhio and Liliuokalani....

8. Re: Parking in Waikiki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2013, 05:34