We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do Leeward side of the island?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
237 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do Leeward side of the island?

Hello,

Going to Oahu for the 1st time for 12 days in September to dog sit for an old co-worker who moved there a couple of years ago and is coming home for a visit. She lives in Waipahu and has also generously offered the use of her car during our stay so we will be mobile. I am sure she will have plenty of tips and suggestions for us but thought I'd ask for additional imput on can't miss places or things on the leeward side that she may not know about yet since she hasnt really lived there long and that is where we will be based. Finding plenty of info on the more known tourist destinations on other areas of the island which we plan to take in on several different days but not much on her side of the island. We like quirky, odd and interesting things in addition to historical and beautiful places. We are fairly fit but not athletic and not into the party scene but are open to all suggestions. I know this isnt the popular side of the island but I also am sure there must be plenty to do in the area even tho not talked about much on travel sites. I have found so many tips from posters here on Trip Advisor that I wouldnt have found anywhere else and thank all in advance for any replies!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do Leeward side of the island?

There is some great snorkeling on the leeward side at Kahe Point (Electric Beach). Not for beginners though as the entry can be a bit rough, watch the surf reports.

The Ko Olina Lagoons are a good place to spend some time, go early as the free beach parking fills up quickly.

There is hiking further north but I don't know much about it.

There are a lot of boat tours that include snorkeling that leave from the Waianae Harbor.

There are also some really nice beaches to visit.

This side of the island is poor and has a large homeless population. Most people are very nice and friendly. Just make sure you don't leave anything of value in your car when it's not in sight and don't leave anything on the beach unattended.

There is a water park close to Waipahu.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
237 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do Leeward side of the island?

When you say dont leave anything on the beach are you talking about valuables like laptops & ipads(which I dont take to the beach anyway) or is everything like beach towels and coolers at risk of being nabbed? At all beaches in this area of the island? We can bring waterproof bags to tuck inside our suits with our money and ID for when we leave the beach for a dip but is anything left behind on the sands for short amounts of time usually being eyed for possible new ownership? I havent read up on the crime statistics in her area yet and dont really want to because in my dream minds eye it is all glorious, sunny, warm dolphin filled waters and palm trees growing Mai Tais in all of Hawaii. ( I know, I know- but thats how I imagine the islands and I gotta keep it that way for a while longer cause September is a long time off) She has a pool at her complex so we can save the beach for more pouplated beaches that may be safer for people like us that I am sure will stand out as tourists. We are from the northwest and are practically transparent from lack of sunshine and will have constant smiles that will give us away as we will have looks of joy and amazement due to all things tropical. I am not a timid traveler and am adventerous but I do pay attention to safety concerns expressed by people in the know.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do Leeward side of the island?

Waipahu is more central than Leeward side. So you can tour the entire island from Waipahu.

On the right side of the page, read the Top Questions. Driving tours, websites, maps, etc.

Driving tour #4 is the Leeward side.

Lots of info:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k647862…

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii & Oahu:

1-800-GOHAWAII

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do Leeward side of the island?

Most of the items that could get stolen would be for pawning. Since you seem to be on top of it and are aware, you should not have any problems. Once, my dh got his old rubber slippah's (flip flops) stolen from the beach, but hey, we can live without those. We have left our towels and a small cooler on the beach while snorkeling another time and no one took those. I don't think there is a big petty theft problem out there but it can happen.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do Leeward side of the island?

If you're fit but not athletic, take the Ka'ena Point hike. Beautiful hike and not that hard. There's a decent chance that you will see some endangered Hawaiian Monk Seals.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
22,666 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do Leeward side of the island?

Aloha,

Drive the Leeward coast and enjoy the wonderful beaches.

Makaha Beach is one of the many

to-hawaii.com/oahu/…makaha-beach-park.php

Lot's of local food out that way to.

In Waipahu check out the Highway Inn as featured on Food TV'S Diner's, Drive-In'n and Dives.

http://www.flavortownusa.com/highway-inn.aspx

Have a great time,

Aloha

7. Re: Things to do Leeward side of the island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:40