We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honolulu to Maui flights.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Honolulu to Maui flights.

Two weeks from now we have flights from Sydney through to Maui booked with Hawaiian Airlines.(All on one booking)

We arrive in Honolulu at 10:05am and depart for Maui at 12:21pm. I am starting to worry we have not allowed enough time between our flights.

Can anyone tell me the process for arrival into Honolulu and departure to Maui? Must we collect our luggage? Customs and immigration? Change of terminal?

A few days later we then have return flights from Maui to Honolulu so we can spend a week at Waikiki (can't wait!!)

Hope someone can help.

Cheers. Di

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honolulu to Maui flights.

As you are on one booking, you won't have a problem. If for some reason you do miss your connection (plane delays etc) .. Hawaiian will put you on the next available flight.

You will have to go through customs/immigration at Honolulu Airport, as its your first port of call in the US.

Here is a map of HNL Airport which shows you how close the International arrivals is to the inter-island terminal.... a 5 minute walk.

http://hawaii.gov/hnl/terminal-information

Have you hired a car on Maui? It's a good idea to do that if you haven't already. Here is a popular website to book one on arrival.

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

You don't really need one on Oahu, but you may like to hire one for a couple of days just to see some sights, like the Byodo Temple, Punchbowl and take a nice drive up to the look-out along Tantalus Drive. The views are amazing of Honolulu and Waikiki.

Good luck .. and have heaps of fun ...I too would be excited if I was you ...

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honolulu to Maui flights.

Thanks Eaglemaniac. Yes we have a car booked for Maui. Not sure if we will get one in Honolulu. I think we may just rely on public transport/day tours if we do anything much at all. Really just want to veg out a bit and enjoy Waikiki.

Thanks for the info re customs etc. I thought we would probably be fine but then I started to worry. Been reading too many horror stories over at Air Travel forum.

Cheers

Di

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honolulu to Maui flights.

Have you been there before?

You will love Hawaii ... people from Perth pop up to Bali regularly, but I'd much rather spend the extra money and go to Hawaii ... I just love it.

The Bus is the locat transport and you can go everywhere on the island.

I've even got it to downtown and walked back to Ala Moana.

I've also taken it to Pearl Harbor 3 times out of 4 .. the first time we did a tour and realised its was free to get in, so we got ripped off...!

I've also caught up up to the north shore ... a long drive, but what else was there to do besides just sit in the bus and see the sights...

Enjoy!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honolulu to Maui flights.

Hi Di,

Not adding anything valuable to this topic but sounding as if you are doing the same trip as me - I am flying out of Oz in early Dec, spending a few days in Maui then the rest on Oahu -will wave to you as I go past LOL. (Except I am flying out of Sydney and I expect you are flying out of Brissie)

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honolulu to Maui flights.

Hi Bad_Seed4. Actually we are flying out of Sydney. The connection time was better for us and we fly back into Brisbane, also so we could connect to a flight home that same day.

We leave on Nov 30 so will beat you there by a few days. I am counting the days til then.

Have a great time. I plan to!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
893 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honolulu to Maui flights.

Just a word of warning when departing Maui. Allow a lot of time, as both checking in and security was long and slow. They have had problems there for a while and many people seem to miss their flights. Although Hawaiian appeared to be letting people onto the next available flight, without charge. However, I can't be certain of no charge and of course there would have to be room.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honolulu to Maui flights.

"Next available flight"of course means the next flight with available seats, not necessarily the very next flight. Not sure how often their flights are completely full, but there seem to be enough of them throughout the day that I'd think you'd get there at some point the same day.

At HNL, you'd have to go through Immigration, get your bags, go through Customs and then presumably just hand off your bags to a transfer desk for your flight to Maui. I would not have hesitated to book the flights you did, at least if they were booked together, but I haven't gone through immigration, etc. at HNL for a few years (and I'm a U.S. ciitizen). Note that Hawaii has strict regs on bringing in many foodstuffs, especially fruits and veggies. I imagine Vegemite is okay, unless it's classified as a toxic substance.

Edited: 19 November 2012, 10:11
Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honolulu to Maui flights.

I'll have you know Sutter that Vegemite is quite yummy. Spread thinly on a slice of hot buttered toast. Mmm might have that for breaky now I think a about it!!! ;)

Thanks dragonlady. I had read that Maui was very slow and that we would need to be there well before flight. I will make sure we are.

I'm not going to worry about the connection in HNL. We will just take it as it comes.

10 days and counting!!!

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honolulu to Maui flights.

Re "We will just take it as it comes": Smart.

Frankly, if you had to miss a connection, I can't think of a better one in the world to miss. There are so many interisland flights that finding available seats on a different HNL-Maui flight shouldn't be tough at all. Plus, even if all they have is bad seats -- two middle seats aisles away from each other -- it doesn't matter much because it's such a short flight.

Definitely educate yourself about HNL airport and your terminals (if possible) before you land in Honolulu. But, overall, you're right: at this point, just roll with it and everything should turn out fine no matter what!

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Honolulu to Maui flights.

What's going on at OGG?

I haven't noticed any delay issues.

Edited: 19 November 2012, 16:50