We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii23 - Never Again

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii23 - Never Again

We have used Hawaii23 on five separate occasions, but never again. Previously I have supported Mark with positive comments on TripAdvisor but the last two occasions deserve critical comment. Has his service reached a point that has exceeded his capacity to provide the service he advertises?

I have never expected Mark to be personally available for our arrivals and departures in Honolulu and have been satisfied when substitute services have arrived, particularly Johnny and Alex.

We booked Hawaii23 for our arrival in Honolulu from Sydney in February 2013. We were met on arrival by Mark who advised us that due to traffic problems he was late to meet his previous booking and had a Japanese couple in his van. He apologized and we accepted that these things sometimes happen. After dropping off the Japanese couple at their hotel he asked us if we minded if he picked up another couple while on our way to our hotel? That was ok with us but not the individual service we were expecting.

Last week we arrived at the Hawaiian Airlines domestic airport after flying in from New York. We had booked Mark to meet us and drive us to our accommodation in Waikiki. We had also booked him to return us to the airport.

On arrival we were expecting to be met by a driver with a clean air-conditioned van to transport my wife and I with our three suitcases and roll-on in comfort to Waikiki as advertised and previously provided. Unfortunately this was not the case.

On arrival we were met by a driver with an old dirty sedan which had been parked in the sun with the air-conditioner turned off.

While my wife was forced to sit in the hot vehicle the driver decided to remove all his personal belongings from the front passenger seat and place these in the boot of his car. This included clothing, shoes, food containers and rubbish. Once that had been done he then had to decide how to put our three suitcases and roll-on in the old vehicle. In the end he had to put two of our cases in the boot, the roll-on the front floor and our third case on the front passenger's seat.

Once loaded up and on our way it took quite some time before the air-conditioning kicked in and the car became somewhat more comfortable but this did not compensate for the dirty and worn condition of the interior or seating. He was also unaware of where we wanted to go.

If we wanted to be transported by an old dirty sedan taxi we could have picked one up from the taxi rank outside the arrivals lounge. If fact, I have never found a taxi at Honolulu airport in such a poor condition so perhaps I am being unfair to the taxi industry.

Immediately upon arrival at our accommodation I emailed Mark to express our disappointment and was expecting at least an apology, if not an explanation. I received neither, only an unexpectly defensive reply. I sent Mark a further email to say I thought he might appreciate the feed-back and in return he simply cancelled our booking.

I looked at Mark's website today and now notice he includes a link to other taxi services which seems to indicate he is no longer able to offer the personal service he originally provided.

We travel to Hawaii three time every year and from now on will no longer use or recommend Hawaii23.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
946 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii23 - Never Again

How terribly disappointing. When you have used Mark so many times (as we have) you know that sometimes you will have an alternative driver - BUT - when this has happened to us we have had the same clean vehicle and courtesy as with Mark. We have always used Hawaii23 and been the only passengers in an endeavour to dodge the busses that stop at every hotel when it always seemed we are at the final dropping off point. I feel a little sad that a wonderful personal connection may now be over.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,932 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii23 - Never Again

I used Hawaii23 twice In May and neither time was Mark the driver.

It does seem that he might be a victim of his own success. Both drivers were on time and the vehicles were just fine.

But, if he has many incidents like Kentstreet had, he will quickly fall out of favor on TA. I will continue to use him until I have had a problem, or see too many people on here or yelp that mention the same types of issues. Then I would probably go to johnnycab as an alternative. I have used him a couple of times when Hawaii23 was not available.

So, hope this is an isolated incident, but sorry it happened.

Aloha

3. Re: Hawaii23 - Never Again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 03:35
Canada
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii23 - Never Again

I suspect too few Business owners today realize .....the "Power of the Pen"

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,620 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii23 - Never Again

I don't know a thing about Hawaii 23.

I always take a taxi from the line because it seems much easier to me. I've never understood the need people have to pre-arrange such a simple transfer.

And I have never had a filthy old sedan so yes your slam <perhaps I am being unfair to the taxi industry> was in fact unfair to my personal experience.

sincerely, suze

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,569 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii23 - Never Again

Sorry, but Kentstreet says "previously I have supported Mark with positive comments on TripAdvisor" and that just isn't so.

ONCE three months ago he said they provide "excellent service" in a topic that someone else had started, but in the previous 9 years that he has been on TripAdvisor did he ever start a topic to talk about the excellent service that Hawaii23 had provided.

But now that he is mad at at Mark or Johnnie or whomever he DOES start a topic.

Sorry, but that doesn't cut it with me. If you didn't bother to help their business with a forum topic when they were giving you "excellent" service, don't start a topic now to bad mouth them and try to hurt their business.

And don't try to fool us with the idea that you were some great supporter so now your opinion carries more weight.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,932 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii23 - Never Again

Kentstreet - I don't know what your purpose was with your post.

However, apparently according to your post, you were unhappy with Hawaii23 in February of 2013. But, on April 25, 2013, you responded to a Hawaii23 post regarding johnnycab and Hawaii23 with the following post,

"Johnny is Mark's cousin. We have used both several times and both provide excellent reliable service."

And now you decide that you were extremely unhappy with Hawaii23 and will never use them again.

Scottca recognized this and said so too.

Would you care to explain why you changed your mind about your February trip in June, but were still recommending them in April?

Aloha

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii23 - Never Again

Perhaps if you and Scott didn't spend your time competing in what appears to be a personal competition to see who can post the most comments each day on the forums and took the time to re-read my post it shouldn't be too difficult to understand why I had changed my mind.

By the way, I thought that Trip Advisor was a forum for individuals to post their personal opinions without having to be exposed to personal and sometimes caustic remarks such as yours. It is not your personal chat forum despite the number of inane comments you might post each day. I notice 28 postings the other day - that must be a record? Nope, I see Scott posted 41.

nwf
NSW Australia
Level Contributor
910 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii23 - Never Again

Calm down.

In this forum we all have a right to speak. NWF.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,932 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii23 - Never Again

What were the caustic remarks?

I initially was sympathetic to your post. Then I looked back and see you were somewhat inconsistent.

So I just asked why you changed your opinion 6 months after the fact on something that many people like and frequently recommend.

I don't guess I see anything caustic in my remarks.

Aloha