We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

Which Cincinnati hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ottawa,ontario
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

I am bringing my 13 year old son to Cincy the weekend of June 9th and 10th to see the Reds and Tigers.. We would appreciate any tourist site suggestions. We are open to anything in Cincy or N. kentucky. - We both love history. Any restaurant suggestions that are Cincy oriented would be appreciated. Ribs, Tex-Mex, Chil etc. Would also like to know if there is a good flea/antique market and a great sports store in the area . Finally, the best local beer would be ? . Thanks for your help.

Edited: 21 May 2012, 12:49
Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
698 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

Moerlein Lager House in the Banks near the ballpark recently opened and I've heard a lot of good things about it. Christian Moerlein is a local microbrewery, so you could sample their beers and get food at the same place.

Montgomery Inn is the famous local rib place and many people like it a lot. I have honestly never seen the attraction, even when I was a meat eater. But as I said, lots of folks swear by it. They have a couple locations, including one on the riverfront not too far from the ballpark.

For Cincinnati chili, I like Skyline, but I'm sure others will have strong opinions on this.

Hofbrauhaus in Newport is a fun place to go for food and beer before a Reds game. Can easily take the Southbank Shuttle across to the ball game from there. Unfortunately, I don't think they had goetta on the menu anymore the last time I was there. Goetta is a local delicacy, a sausage with oats. It is one of the foods that makes me reconsider my commitment to vegetarianism. There are a couple stands at GABP that sell Goetta dogs.

Graeter's is the famous local ice cream store, and they have locations around the city. Although as a native of Oakley, I have to put in my plug for Aglamesis Brothers as superior to Graeter's. Their ice cream parlor is unchanged in decades and is on Oakley Square. I think they still have another location in Montgomery, too.

Beside Moerlein, Rivertown and Mt. Carmel brewing are a couple of newer local micros that put out good beers. The Hudepohl brand name has recently been revived as well. It was the big local brewer for years. Beers are closer to big macrobrews like Bud or Miller than IPAs or other craft beer styles, but a Hudy Delight or Little Kings is part of an authentic Cincinnati experience! You can buy Hudy at GABP in the little United Dairy Farmers stores.

Are you looking for any particular sport equipment? Dick's Sporting Goods is the dominant chain big box sports store. There are several around the city. Koch's Sporting Goods downtown is a local store and was always good when I was younger, although I haven't been in there in probably twenty years. There is an REI (similar to MEC in Canada) opening at Rookwood Commons this summer, but I think it won't be open until July. If you're looking for fishing and hunting gear, there is a Bass Pro Shop in Forest Park.

There are a couple large flea markets off I-75 in Monroe, about 20 miles north of the city. Trader's World and Turtle Creek. Although I think they have mostly newer stuff. There's a similar large flea market off I-71 about 40 miles north of town at Caesar Creek. There's also a big flea market in Richwood, KY, about 20 minutes south of the city.

Waynesville, Ohio, which is in Warren County about 30 miles NE of the city, is known for antique shopping. Springfield, Ohio, which is about 20 minutes east of Dayton on I-70 has several huge antique malls right off the highway.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

If you like history, consider walking the John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Roebling_Suspens…

The Cincinnati Museum Center is located in the historic Union Terminal. The Cincinnati History Museum there is quite good, and the Natural History & Science Museum is very enjoyable IMO.

http://www.cincymuseum.org/

The National Underground Railroad and Freedom Center is a must visit for history buffs.

http://www.freedomcenter.org/

Definitely consider a visit to nearby Dayton, arguably the aviation history mecca of the world. IMO, Huffman Prairie Flying Field there is the most historic location in Ohio and one of the most historic in the world, even though it generally is not well known.

Part of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park, Huffman Prairie Flying Field is where mankind first conquered the skies in 1905 with a powered aircraft capable of reliably sustained and controlled flight. The story of the Wright brothers is well told in various venues in Dayton (perhaps read Tom Crouch's "The Bishop's Boys" before your trip).

Dayton's excellent Carillon Historical Park includes the Wright exhibit, also part of the national historical park. There you can see the Wright Flyer III, the aircraft that finally opened the skies to mankind.

The U.S. Air Force National Museum in Dayton is very large and magnificent. Allow at least one full day for a visit, bring your passports, and register upon arrival for a visit to the presidential and experimental aircraft on-base hangar. It's one of the best features of the museum and it includes several historic presidential aircraft which actually can be walked through by visitors. Admission is free.

See post three here:

tripadvisor.com/…36749204

Skyline Chili is a Cincinnati favorite easily found downtown.

As an Indians fan, I hope the Reds thump the Tigers!

Good planning!

Edited: 21 May 2012, 14:12
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

Not sure when you purchased your tickets, but the Sunday (June 10) game time has changed from 1PM to 8PM. Not sure why ESPN picked the game up (neither team would be what I would consider a huge draw currently) but it has definetely thrown a wrench in our plans. Hopefully you are aware of the game time change and it doesn't impact your plans! Have fun!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
118 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

I just read the first 2 replies. Since you are coming down to watch the Tigers play the Reds, I have to assume you are pretty big sport's fans. You also mentioned that you are interested in history. How about visiting the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame Museum? Paid admission to the HoF museum on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays get a bobblehead (while supplies last). For the month of June the bobblehead is Dan Driessen. Admission to the museum is $10pp and more information on the bobblehead giveaway can be found at:

cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/hof/article.jsp…

The Great American Ball Park also does tours, and when I checked last with them, they were doing tours on Saturday, June 9 at 10:30AM and 11AM. At that time (Saturday, May 12), the Sunday game was still scheduled for 1PM and no tours were scheduled. Perhaps that has changed.

My wife and I have actually purchased an All-Star membership to the Reds HoF museum ($75). Membership gives a handful of benefits you may or may not use...

It allows access to the HoF for two adults and 2 children/grandchildren for 1 calendar year.

It provides 2 tour passes of Great American Ball Park.

It also provides 4 of the 6 bobbleheads (April-July) being offered each month by the HoF.

There are other benefits such as free tickets to future games and guest passes for others to access the HoF. Full details on membership benefits can be found at...

…mlb.com/cin/hof/membership/index.jsp…

When you look at the price of admission to the HoF and a tour of Great American Ball Park for two, the HoF membership is $21 more. However, the HoF member also gave the other bobbleheads (and I do like to collect bobbleheads). Additionally, the Reds HoF is a non-profit so I don't mind giving it a little extra to support their cause. However, when it is all said and done, the $75 spent will be a bargain as we do intend to use the 4 View Level vouchers to come back down 2 other weekends in the year. The HoF membership may not be right for you, but perhaps it is something worth considering. Hope this was helpful!

ottawa,ontario
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

Thank you for your responses, they have been most helpful. One final inquiry, what would be the best BBQ restaurant in the area? Thanks.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

I really like the Cincinnati Zoo and it's not a far drive from downtown at all cincinnatizoo.org/. Montgomery Inn is famous for their ribs but everything there is excellent http://www.montgomeryinn.com/. There's a location right at downtown and another one in N. Kentucky off of 71/75South. We also have a couple overlooked museums that are small: the Cincinnati Fire Fighter museum http://www.cincyfiremuseum.com/ and the Police museum www.gcphs.com/, which are both very close to downtown and the Reds. As someone else already mentioned, Cincinnati Museum Center is great and has 3 museums: Cincinnati History, Natural History, and the Children's museum plus the Omnimax. The Newport Aquarium is cool for an afternoon but if you want to enjoy the weather outside and hear some history and see the sights, they have the duck tours there http://newport.ridetheducks.com/home.aspx. The BB riverboat might be fun too bbriverboats.com/.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

As for the Cincinnati-style chili the previous poster is right: Skyline is the one to go to. Oh, and how could I forget! La'Rosa's pizza is a Cincinnati favorite with many different things to try and it's family friendly.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
102 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

My husband loves this restaurant that's not very far from downtown Cincy: bbqrevue.com/BBQRevue/…20HOME.html. A guy I work with said he loves that place too.

Montgomery Inn has ribs, chicken, pork chops etc. that also barbequed. You can't go wrong with either place.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

The best bbq place by far in my opinion is Walts BBQ on Colerain Ave. From downtown you would take I75 north to I74 then get off at the Colerain Exit. Turn left onto Colerain and drive about 5 miles or so, Walts is a big red barn on the right side of the street. Check out the web site waltsbarbeque.com The cincy museum center is a great place to visit and right now they have the Pompeii exhibit with real artifacts from Pompeii, its a little expensive but worth the visit. Check cincymuseum.org

10. Re: Weekend in Cincy - Things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 05:16