We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yellowstone 4 day itinerary

Arlington, Ma
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
yellowstone 4 day itinerary

My wife and I are in the stages of planning a 10 day vacation 4 of those days visiting Yellowstone. This trip will be early in July. Will be heading to Yellowstone after visiting GTNP. Looking for suggestions for a 4 day itinerary. We are interested in staying in the park, price not an issue. Interested in seeing more wildlife than hot springs and geysers but certainly want to see Old Faithful.Looking for recommendations for short (2-5 miles round trip) but scenic hikes. We will eventually be flying back to Boston so any suggestions of best airport to fly out of would be helpful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
505 reviews
1. Re: yellowstone 4 day itinerary

What airport are you flying into?

I would split lodging between OF and Canyon/Lake. Book lodging in park here-

https:/…

Don't worry if seems booked because a lot of movement around first of year.

Pam and others are great at detailed daily trip plans if need that sort of thing.

A great book is Yellowstone Treasures and will help in planning.

Edited: 04 December 2017, 20:53
Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
638 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: yellowstone 4 day itinerary

The Mystic Falls trail is short and very easy to hike, with a beautiful waterfall at the end. We did it out and back, but if you want to make a little longer loop instead of doubling back you can do that as well. We also liked the Observation Point trail that overlooks Old Faithful and the geyser basin. It has a few switchbacks, but since it is short it is still an easy hike and if you start the hike about 1/2 hour before Old Faithful is scheduled to erupt you can see that as well as any other geysers that might be erupting at that time.

Reply to: yellowstone 4 day itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted