We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

Hello and thanks in advance for any and all advice! Planning our first trip out to YNP for next July 2018. Two adults and two kids (12 and 15). driving from iowa... Would love help on things to do and where to stay on nights 7 and 8!

Night 1: Sioux Falls

Night 2 and 3: Black Hills--wanted Sylvan Lake but it's full so may try Legion Lake Lodge

Night 4 Cody: Cody Cowboy Village

Nights 5 and 6: Want to stay in YNP. Probably grant VIllage

Nights 7 and 8: ???? Maybe closer to Grand Tetons-read about Signal Mtn Lodge.

we want to hike, white water raft, see the main sights in YNP, etc.

thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
505 reviews
1. Re: Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

No to Grant Village and yes to someplace like Canyon Lodge or split between Canyon and OF. Limited restaurants at Grant Village and not close to main sights in the park.

You really need another day in Yellowstone. The park is huge with over 300 miles of roads.

Day 4 will be a full driving day.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,850 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

I, personally, would not want Grant Village. It is SO far south that it's hard to see the rest of the park. If you just have one place to stay, then I would go with Canyon. If you picked Grant because there are vacancies showing, there will be plenty of movement on the Xanterra website over the next few months so you should be able to get something.

I would probably cut the nights in Black HIlls as it may be close enough for you to do as it looks like it is a long summer's day drive from Dubuque.

With Yellowstone, I feel you do not have enough time. In general I recommend 4 nights which gives you 3 full days. Grand Tetons needs at least 2 nights, 3 is better if you have the extra stuff you want to do such as rafting.

Remember when you are calculating that 2 nights just gives you 1 full day for sightseeing.

editing to add: Hahaha...PeachBelle and I can't help it. We share a brain!

Pam

Edited: 08 December 2017, 13:43
Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

if we boot the idea of Grant Village, where do you recommend in the park other than Canyon? i'll have to check availability there. We are traveling back to Iowa over nights 9 and 10. nights 4-8 are flexible. we wont arrive in Sioux Falls until almost 11 pm on night 1 so we thought traveling to Black hills the next day and having a day and a half there would be good. kids will be antsy in the car otherwise. we can skip Cody if you believe another night in the park would be more beneficial? just need to see how far that makes the drive that day....Black Hills to Canyon? or other hotel/cabin recommendations?

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

sorry, I'm a newby. What does OF stand for?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
505 reviews
5. Re: Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

Old Faithful.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
505 reviews
6. Re: Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

From Mt. Rushmore to Canyon lodge is about a 9.5 hour drive with limited stops for bathroom breaks and a quick picnic lunch.

We have done that trip before and a long day.

Dubuque, Iowa
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

would you recommend old faithful inn or canyon lodge for a base camp for 2-3 nights? thanks in advance.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
505 reviews
8. Re: Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

Canyon is the most central location in the park. Personally love the Old Faithful inn because it is historic. But if staying only one place then Canyon works well.

Reply to: Trip plan Yellowstone/Grand Tetons
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted