We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mountain west trip

Melrose...
9 posts
mountain west trip

Hello, I need some advice. I am coming from Boston this coming August and want to see the mountain west region. First idea: Fly into Denver and do the Rockies, then drive to rapid city to do badlands and mt Rushmore. Over to Yellowstone. Then grand Tetons and then Salt lake to fly back home. Can this be done in 10 days? Does anyone have another option? Can I see this all or do I have to skip some stuff; Id rather not.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited: 10 December 2017, 20:37
14 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
505 reviews
11. Re: mountain west trip

These are my suggestions-

1- SLC get an early flight and drive the 5 hours up to Yellowstone before dark

2-3-4-5 Yellowstone NP

6-7- Grand Tetons NP

8- drive to Steamboat springs, CO

9- drive to Grand Lake and thru Trail Ridge Road to Estes Park in RMNP

10- Denver- get an afternoon or evening flight out because it is a 2 hour drive from Estes Park.

Melrose...
9 posts
12. Re: mountain west trip

Oh boy, I thank you so much. I like it. Last one, I promise....Any tips where to stay?

Thanks bunch,

Joe

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,718 posts
505 reviews
13. Re: mountain west trip

We love Signal Mt. Lodge in Tetons and 49er inn and Wyoming inn in Jackson, WY.

Lots of hotels in Steamboat. Hampton is nice.

Estes Park we like the Quality Inn. Owned by same family for over 40 years.

For Yellowstone we love the OF inn and Lake Hotel but it is pricey. Do not like the Lake cabins. They were old and dated and yucky when we stayed at that.

Have not stayed at new Canyon Lodge yet.

For out of the park we prefer West Yellowstone but Gardiner is OK too but limited restaurants.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
14. Re: mountain west trip

FORGET ROCKY MOUNTAIN: If you're gonna do a virtual driveby of Grand Teton just to check Rocky Mountain off an inane list that's truly sad let alone crazy. Do Yellowstone and GTNP, period. Your soul will thank you for it.

Reply to: mountain west trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted