We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay inside the Park?

Michigan
Level Contributor
121 posts
10 reviews
Where to stay inside the Park?

Hi,

We are planning a trip in August, 2018 and needed some help with our itinerary. We are flying in and out of Bozeman, MT.

Day1 - flight lands at 7pm; stay in Bozeman

Day 2 - Mammoth, Roosevelt or Canyon Lodge

Day 3 - Canyon Lodge or Lake Hotel

Day 4 - Signal Mountain Lodge, GNTP

Day 5 - Signal Mountain Lodge, GNTP

Day 6 - Old Faithful Snow Lodge

Day 7 - Mammoth Hot Springs

Day 8 - Fly out around 1pm

Please provide feedback if any changes need to be made to the above and what is the best place to stay Day 2 & 3. Thank you.

3 replies to this topic
Shelbyville, KY
Level Contributor
638 posts
79 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay inside the Park?

We did this last summer, kind of in reverse order from what you have planned. Our flight came in fairly early, so we drove from Bozeman to the west entrance and spent 2 nights at OF Snow Lodge, 2 nights in Jackson (your Signal Mtn. Lodge should work great in place of Jackson), 2 nights Canyon Lodge, and our final night in Bozeman before flight the next morning. Between Canyon and Lake, I liked the Canyon location better because it put us so close to the falls area so we could get an early parking spot for hiking and viewing. It was also closer to Lamar Valley and the northern portions of the park for Day 7. We were able to check out of the hotel, drive Lamar Valley, have lunch at Roosevelt Lodge, and visit Mammoth Hot Springs area on our way out the north entrance of the park toward Bozeman. West Thumb geyser basin is a nice stop either on your way to GTNP or your way back, because the geyser basin is small, has some beautiful pools, and sits right on the lake so it is very scenic.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
24,873 posts
112 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay inside the Park?

I would probably spend nights 2 and 3 at Canyon but then I don't like to do one-night stays. If one-nighters work fine for you then either Mammoth or Roosevelt would work too.

Day 7 I would stay at Old Faithful again, then when you return to Bozeman, head out thru the West entrance to West Yellowstone then north on US191 back to Bozeman. It's about the same drive time from Bozeman to Gardiner or West Yellowstone. The scenery is different on US89 to Gardiner and US191 to West Yellowstone. US89 is a wide flat canyon most of the way while US191 is a more narrow canyon where you can see more of the rocky Gallatin River. It is about 1-1.5 hours from Old Faithful to the West entrance and about 1.5 hours from West Yellowstone to Bozeman. I would want to be to Bozeman (or Belgrade) in time to pick up some lunch before your flight.

Pam

Ennis MT
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Ennis
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay inside the Park?

Your plan looks good to me. Since you're spending night 7 at Mammoth, I would take that out of the mix for night 2, and spend both 2&3 at Canyon or Lake - they're only 15 miles apart, so distance isn't a real factor in choosing. Personally, I prefer the Lake area - much less congested and better views. But Canyon has the advantage of more shops etc., so it depends on what appeals to you the most. Either one will work fine.

Reply to: Where to stay inside the Park?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yellowstone National...