We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Could you help w/2009 vacation plans?

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
946 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Could you help w/2009 vacation plans?

Hi everyone- I'm starting to plan our summer trip for June-July 2009 and could surely use some advice. I've been reading this forum for several weeks (I just love this site!) Here's what I've got so far for our trip from June 23 to July 3, 2009

Fly into SLC, drive to Jackson

We'll only be there one night - not picky re: hotel here - looking for btwn. $80-90 - not having any luck yet.

6/24-27 Drive through GTNP to Old Faithful Inn (there are no mid-range rooms available online at the moment - should I make reservations for one of the "no bath" rooms and hope there will be a cancellation?) Don't have any "plans" as such yet - that will be the fun part of the planning.

6/27-6/30 YNP ressies at Canyon Lodge/Frontier Cabin

6/30-7/1 GTNP would like to stay at Coulter Bay - should I call now to get on the "waiting list" for room? Snake River trip

7/2 Drive to somewhere near SLC airport, leave next day

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for the help!!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Could you help w/2009 vacation plans?

You may need to raise your budget for Jackson a bit. Not a cheap town. We stayed at the Elk Country Inn. Don't recall the price but you could walk to the town square. After all, its only one night out of an expensive trip.

Make your OFI reservations now for what you can get. They'll work with you later to make changes without any additional cost. At least you're sure of something.

Canyon is a great location in my mind.

The Coulter Bay cabins looked nice when we drove by to look. You could also check Signal Mountain Lodge. Also very nice and in same general area. By all means get on a waiting list. Keep the options open.

We tried to put some helpful information on our website as well.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com

Yellowstone link on the left

We stayed at Jackson Lake Lodge but will probably try Signal Mountain next time. There's a trip report from the Tetons included with the Yellowstone information too.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Could you help w/2009 vacation plans?

I would call for both YS lodging and Teton lodging. Not everything is online.

You have a good plan set up. Have you been to www.nps.gov for each national park? Lots of great planning info there as well.

Enjoy planning, it is quite fun with the help of everyone on TA!

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
946 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Could you help w/2009 vacation plans?

Thank you both very much!! Such quick replies - this site is fantastic for planning vacations and learning from everyone's trips. I've ordered the photography and YNP driving tips books from Amazon (my son is a photographer) and can't wait to start what we might want to do each day. As everyone knows, the plans usually fall by the wayside once you get there - but thanks to everyone here - you know what's available and what you NEED to make ressies for.

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll be back over the next several months with many more questions.

Jane

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Could you help w/2009 vacation plans?

Photographer... He might wish to read comments re: photography in YNP. I suppose he could do a search, on this forum.

West Yellowstone, MT
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Could you help w/2009 vacation plans?

TZMOM- It is never to early to book lodging within Yellowstone Park. Then, make a note on your calendar to check every two weeks on-line or by calling. Once the summer season ends (September)

I like how you have split your Yellowstone destintations with Old Faithful for exploring the geyser basin areas and Canyon for exploring northern sections of the park.

We like Signal Mountain, just because it is smaller on your return thru GTNP.

California
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Could you help w/2009 vacation plans?

Hi there. We just got back from our first trip to Yellowstone. I highly recommend the Buckrail Lodge in Jackson. We stayed on our last night for $119. Food, lodging, everything in Jackson is very expensive. If you are on a budget you might consider driving all the way in and staying at Colter instead. We just loved the Old Faithful Inn. I would book anything you could get there and try to change to a room with bath later. I would call now for Colter, we called in July to get on the list for November and it worked out well. Colter Cabins are rustic but fine, cuter inside than out, pretty small, conveniently located to everything. That being said, if I had to do it again and could afford it I'd definitely stay at Jackson Lake Lodge next time. We ended up going to Jackson Lake Lodge to hang out there some of the evening, don't mis that view from their windows. Have fun planning.

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
946 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Could you help w/2009 vacation plans?

Thank you everyone!!

After spending more hours on this site than I'd like to admit, I think we're going to fly into Bozeman. The car rental and airfare is a bit less expensive + we can drive directly to Old Faithful Inn the day we arrive foregoing the expense of staying in Jackson overnight.

I've made reservations at OFI + Grand Canyon Lodge and have decided to stay at Signal Mountain Lodge in GTNP. I will get on the phone to them next week to see what I can do as far as a reservation.

Thank you again for your expertise and opinions. I really appreciate the help and will be back with questions in the future.

Have a good week!!

8. Re: Could you help w/2009 vacation plans?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 21:18