We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

Which location would be best for 3 days vacation? We are considering the Mairood in Trat vs the Mangrove Hideaway in Koh Trang. My husband said he read that Koh Trang is too commercialized. We like authentic places.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
34 posts
1. Re: Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

I meant Koh Chang

Edited: 24 March 2015, 00:08
Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

Chang is a lovely island with nice beaches. Its nothing like Samui or Phuket. Id rate Chang as the most authentic Thai island around. Great food and 2/3 of the tourists are Thai.

Trat town is worth 1 night but the mainland doesnt have good beaches.

7 to 10 nights on Chang is ideal.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3. Re: Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

Do you think ko chang Is more authentic than Trat? Are there less tourists?

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

Hi

Trat is the name of thr province which Koh Chang located. Less touristy or non touristy mean less things/ non amenity for tourist a like. Koh Chang over commercialized ? I didn't think so.

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

U want beaches? Go to Chang. If u want a Thai town experience go to Trat town.

Koh Chang, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Ko Chang, Ko Mak
Level Contributor
3,903 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

Mangrove Hideaway is in a very local area. Not a lot of tourism in Salakphet. It's a world away from the busy West coast beaches. I can guarantee that you won't feel like you're in a touristy area if you stay there.

Mai Rood is good for a short stay. But you're pretty much stuck there. Not a lot in the way of public transport or any trips you can easily do.

So if you're just planning a short trip, then staying in Mairood is fine. People I've met who've stayed there have enjoyed it - especially the food. But the novelty might start to wear off.

Ko Mak, Thailand
Level Contributor
74 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

We also had guests who stayed at Mangrove Hideaway, and they loved it. They did say the food can be quite spicy even if you ask for 'mai pet.'

Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

Koh Chang is awesome! Pretty much anywhere you go in Thailand will have tourists and tourism. That said, koh chang is one of the most laid back islands we have visited. Love it there! Also as others have said, if you are looking for good beaches chang is where you will get that, not Trat itself.

Scottsdale...
Level Contributor
34 posts
9. Re: Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

we like spicy so that's good to hear

10. Re: Trat vs Koh Trang for vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2016, 08:15