We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RIB tour of Trollfjord

England
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
RIB tour of Trollfjord

Hi,

We're thinking about doing a Hurtigruten cruise next winter with the hope of getting a glimpse of the Northern Lights. On their Lofoten Adventure cruise itinerary they say that in February and March there is the opportunity to join an RIB tour of Trollfjord. However from what I've read on here the weather is often too bad in the winter to visit Trollfjord, so I was wondering whay they say this tour is only available in Feb and March - can anyone shed any light on this? Do you think it would be weather dependant?

Many thanks.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
382 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: RIB tour of Trollfjord

The Hurtigruten boats will go up the Trollfjord if weather and sea conditions permit. I suspect that it doesn't happen very often in the Winter because of low light and a tight fit. Smaller boats would have a better chance unless there were rough seas which can't be predicted until just before you enter the fjord.

Barbara

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
2. Re: RIB tour of Trollfjord

Having just checked the exact itinerary for Lofoten Adventure in Hurtigruten’s winter brochure, and in particular which excursions are offered on which dates, all is now clear!

In the earlier period covered by the brochure, November to mid January, it is possible to see orca whales in Tysfjord. They are only there at this time because they have come to feed on the herring. The holidays therefore naturally include a whale safari, which is taken from Svolvær in Lofoten during the days staying ashore there.

For the later departures in late January to March when the whales are not around, that excursion is replaced by a fishing and sea eagle safari in a traditional fishing boat, and for the slightly longer (5day/4 night) holiday there is also time for another excursion. This is the RIB tour of Trollfjord to which you refer. So it is an excursion taken while staying in Svolvær, and is unconnected to the Hurtigruten ships themselves sometimes going into the Trollfjord – which as you thought doesn’t often happen in winter.

Hurtigruten will have made the arrangements for the Trollfjord RIB trip through a local operator. I don’t know which they use, but it could be something similar to this:

http://lofoten-safari.no/

Your exact departure date determines which excursion is included in the holiday price and which is an optional extra. There is still an element of weather dependency.

These later extended holidays have accommodation in Svinøya, which is just across a bridge from the central part of Svolvær. I haven’t stayed there, but have walked around and explored the area which is picturesque with great views of the mountains surrounding Svolvær.

England
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
3. Re: RIB tour of Trollfjord

Hi,

Thanks this is hugely helpful - I must say I was a little confused by the info on Hurtigruten's website but all is now clear!

Incidentally, do you think the Lofoten Islands are generally good location for viewing the Northern Lights? Although this is the main purpose of our holiday, as there are no guarantees we were thinking that visiting somewhere like Lofoten the scenery would make the trip worthwhile even if we missed the lights. I noticed though that there can be a lot of rainfall on the islands so presumably this makes cloud cover more of a potential issue - do you think we may be better basing ourselves in Tromso this winter and saving Lofoten Islands for another trip?

Scotland
Level Contributor
85 posts
4. Re: RIB tour of Trollfjord

I think that seeing the northern lights is best regarded as a superb bonus rather than the purpose of a holiday in northern Norway, and although I see your point about Tromsø versus Lofoten it is scarcely significant for the short number of nights involved. If this is your first time in the region I would enjoy the unique experience of Lofoten, and then if Norway turns out to be your kind of place return to Tromsø for longer in the future.

The weather is very changeable. I once missed out on the Northern lights when it started snowing heavily just after dinner and I went to bed for an early night. Next day I heard that there had been a brief clear spell for about 20 minutes just before midnight and spectacular lights! But I did see them on another occasion and that was actually from aboard the Hurtigruten ship in the vicinity of Tromsø. So, especially if you need your sleep like I do, make a plan with other folk to wake you if the northern lights appear, and take layers of clothes so you can go out on deck on the ship.

England
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
5. Re: RIB tour of Trollfjord

Thanks Mooselet for the advice, I think as you suggest we will stick with the Lofoten Islands as the scenery looks stunning, and if we do happen to see the Northern Lights when we are there it will be an added bonus!

Lofoten
2 posts
6. Re: RIB tour of Trollfjord

See www.polarlightcenter.com, a Northern Light research center, and a perfect place in Lofoten to see Northern Light!

see also www.lofoten.info for more info about Lofoten

eirik

7. Re: RIB tour of Trollfjord

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 05:16